I want to switch from vga to hdmi on my monitor

heutmd

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
My monitor has vga and hdmi outputs and my computer has vga and hdmi inputs. When I disconnect the vga and go with the hdmi my monitor shows nothing. I thought I could use either one and that hdmi would be better. Is there something else I need to do to make the hdmi work?

Solution
Yes, it should just work. Disconnect vga, and plug in your hdmi and try again. If you still keep having issues, you might try another hdmi cable, or verify yours is good. May also be able to use an hdmi to dvi adapter on the monitor side and output dvi from the computer.

koopatroopa_15

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Also, it depends on the outputs on your PC. Are both the HDMI and VGA on a graphics card ? If you are trying to plug into an HDMI that is actually part of your motherboard, you may have to enable the onboard GPU

Yes, it should just work. Disconnect vga, and plug in your hdmi and try again. If you still keep having issues, you might try another hdmi cable, or verify yours is good. May also be able to use an hdmi to dvi adapter on the monitor side and output dvi from the computer.

Solution