Question I want to turbo-boost half of my cpu

Jimcuchim

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
Hello,
I have a i5-8520U 3.4GHZ when turbo boost
Base speed of 1.80 GHZ
I want to make it stay at around 2.3 GHZ instead of turbo boosting the whole way to 3.4GHZ.
Is there anyway to do this.
Thank you

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't believe you can granularly control the boost functionality, no. It's either within spec (thermal headroom etc) and required by the workload, or it's not.

The "balanced" or "power saving" power profile in Windows might accomplish something similar to what you're aiming for.... but not exactly.

I guess the question here is..... why would you want to do this?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The only time turbo will engage is when the laptop is plugged in, otherwise it'll run at base speeds to prohibit battery overheat. There are programs that'll turn off turbo and other settings not usually available as user options in bios, but turbo is a one shot deal, it's either enabled or disabled, there no turning it on for only particular cores.

Jimcuchim

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
I want to do it only half because whenever the processor speed gets to 3.40 GHZ. The heat starts to get up to 80C. And it starts to reduce performance a lot. I play fortnite but I suffer from fps drops a lot because of this. Also I have a question. Will balance mode turbo boost when it is needed?

Last edited: