Question I want to underclock the 9700k. (Higher than base clock (3.6) ~ lower than all turbo boost clock (4.6))

Jun 1, 2020
My computer specifications are like this
CPU: i7 9700k
M/B: asrock z390 ex4
RAM: samsung 16GB x2 (2666)
Cooler: Thermolab Trinity air cooling (130mm / max rpm 1200)

The computer I bought a year ago was under-volting because of the high voltage of 9700k (mainly gaming / video editing / rendering).

I know the cooler is relatively poor, but...😅

I used it well without any problem for a year, but recently reinstalled windows several times with frequent blue screens.

While checking various options, I confirmed that the cpu temperature is high.

So I reapplied thermal and thought that the cause of the blue screen was underbolting.

So, after I initialized the underbolting, I tried weakly underbolting until the rendering was finished safely.

As a result, the blue screen that bothered me was resolved.

But the temperature of the cpu is over 90 degrees.

The voltage also becomes unstable, and the voltage fluctuates.

The underbolting that was applied previously is difficult now.

I know this is stupid, but I want to lower the clock of 9700k to render reliably and use the computer.

I don't know the underclock.
Is there anyone who can help?

Please tell me how to stabilize the voltage and underclock higher than the base base clock / lower than the All Turbo boost.

At the time of writing, I keep the basic base clock and write. 😥

* The sentence may be awkward using the Google Translator. Sorry.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's probably Google Translator, but some statements aren't making any sense...

I know the cooler is relatively poor, but...😅
There's more than 1 version of this cooler, and I kept finding the old one: 1800rpm(max), 220w TDP, 735g...
Yours appears to be a revision of said older model: 1200rpm(max), 650g - no mention of the TDP of this one, so no way for me to know if it can handle the same kind of thermals as the old model...
The old one would've been adequate for a 9700K.

But the temperature of the cpu is over 90 degrees.
Needs clarification.
90 degrees, what? Celsius? Fahrenheit? Celsius is the traditional measurement, by the way.
Was this taken at idle? Gaming? Editing? Rendering?
If you were using F, then there is no overheating occurring.

The voltage also becomes unstable, and the voltage fluctuates.
Nothing unstable about it. It's supposed to do that.

At the time of writing, I keep the basic base clock and write. 😥
And you're still 'overheating' with Turbo Boost disabled? You may have:
-improper cooler mount
-dead cpu fan
-little to no chassis airflow

The computer I bought a year ago was under-volting because of the high voltage of 9700k

So I reapplied thermal and thought that the cause of the blue screen was underbolting.

So, after I initialized the underbolting, I tried weakly underbolting until the rendering was finished safely.

As a result, the blue screen that bothered me was resolved.

The underbolting that was applied previously is difficult now.
These were the parts that didn't make sense. Probably Google Translator.
Undervolting too much can cause BSODs though.

Jun 1, 2020
Thank you for the detailed question. My explanation was lacking.

When I first purchased the computer and applied underbolting, it seems to have passed the Rings Legacy 80 degrees 5 times with the revision of 1200rpm.
So I thought it would be possible even with a revised version.

The temperature standard I'm talking about was Celsius. Sorry.

The rendering process was in progress when the CPU temperature was between 90 and 95 degrees. (Celsius)

It's stable at 45-50 degrees in idle situations where Turbo Boost is running, but it jumps 60-70 degrees the moment I turn on chrome or touch other programs. In this situation, the voltage (vid) is excessively fluctuating from min. 1.25 to max. 1.45 (verified by hwmonitor/1.5v in severe cases)

And throttling also seems to appear frequently.

Now, with Turbo Boost disabled, on average, it shows a temperature of 36 degrees and a voltage of 1 volt. The difference between the minimum voltage [vid] (0.98)/high voltage [vid] (1.1) is small.

The answer to the last question is also my question.

I have been watching Adobe Premiere/After Effects/Chrome Twitch at the same time for the past year without any problems.

Blue screens/freezing etc. have recently appeared.
It will be surprising that the under-bolting is turned off and the blue screen disappears.

It's very difficult for me to recalibrate voltages and temperatures that I can't afford while maintaining the turbo boost.

From the very beginning, my 9700k has too much voltage in a pure situation where turbo boost is working.

Under bolting doesn't seem to work as before.

I think I should give up Turbo Boost and Underclock to less than 4.6

If my story is difficult to understand, please tell me again

Thank you.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Again, the voltages are normal. The cpu/OS dynamically adjusts frequency and voltage depending on the load.

2)The 9700K is NOT a Ryzen 3000 cpu; it does not care how hot it operates, except for the critical limit, which is 100C(default).
This cpu could be running up to 98C and it would STILL operate normally. It will not throttle until it hits at least 99.5C.
So if you're not seeing it get that high, then it's not thermal throttling yet - unless you set a lower limit in the bios...

3)For the cpu to continue to run hot even with undervolting, you've definitely got a cooling issue.

4)If the cpu cooler was adequate from the beginning, there would be no need to touch any settings in bios.

5)What is the chassis make and model?
How do you have your chassis fans set up? Generally speaking, air should move from front to back, bottom to top. For reference:

open-grille.png

I suspect a combination of the following:
-poor airflow
-inadequate cpu cooler
-dead fan(s)

Jun 1, 2020
My cooler is open side.

Is there any way I can use it more reliably without replacing the cooler right now?

The high voltage and temperature are normal, but I am afraid that the blue screen will appear.

I would like to avoid the blue screen floating during video editing and rendering.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My cooler is open side.
???
The purpose of the image was so you'd know how you had your chassis fans set up, in case you had some positioned backwards.
1)What is the chassis make and model?
2)How many fans are running in said chassis and do you have them set up correctly?

Is there any way I can use it more reliably without replacing the cooler right now?
If the cpu is 'overheating' even with Intel Turbo Boost disabled, then you've got a cooling problem.
You actually haven't proved that the cpu is thermal throttling; it does need to hit 99.5C or higher for that to occur.

I would like to avoid the blue screen floating during video editing and rendering.
Then you need to troubleshoot elsewhere.

1)Scan PC for viruses/malware. Use Adwcleaner free tool - it works well where Windows Defender may fail: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
2)Run Windows System File Checker. Follow the steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
3)Run Memtest86 free tool: https://www.memtest86.com/
Run Memtest overnight(it takes a few hours). The results should be error-free, and with no system hangs or crashes.
4)Check storage drive health. Link: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller
Crystal Disk Info can report drive operating temps as well as the conditions.

TRENDING THREADS