[SOLVED] I want to upgrade an old-ish mid-range gaming PC

memezillA

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016
So I've had this PC for a good bit now and it's served me well, I can run pretty new titles like DOOM Eternal on mid-high graphics with okay FPS, but I want to upgrade soon. My current specs are:
  • Intel i5-6500
  • Gigabyte GA-H170 Gaming 3 mobo
  • GTX 1050ti
  • 2x8gb Hyperx Fury DDR4 RAM (I don't remember the exact specs of the RAM)
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD
  • 500gb + 1TB WD blue HDD
I'm looking to upgrade to an RTX 3060ti sometime in the first couple of months of next year, so what CPU and PSU upgrades would you guys suggest. I also wanna switch to AMD if it's reasonable, but getting a new motherboard would probably drive the price up significantly. I don't want to spend too much on the CPU and motherboard cause I'm still on a bit of a budget (Nothing fixed really, I just want the cheapest option that doesn't compromise too much on performance). Ideally, the motherboard should have two M.2 Slots cause I'm also thinking of getting another SSD later on. Also, I'll be buying from India, most likely from a physical store cause they usually got some good deals (pricelist for the store here, all prices in INR: http://www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf)

Solution
@memezillA
DDR5 is coming this year and in less than 2 years it'll become commonplace. perhaps you will get a single 32gb stick with the cost of your 2x8.
If I was you, I'd get the graphic and let it be bottlenecked by my cpu until I can change to a DDR5 mobo and a new AMD. just wait for the baby generation, infant ddr5 will come before snows melt. newer mobos will serve faster SSD too.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@memezillA
DDR5 is coming this year and in less than 2 years it'll become commonplace. perhaps you will get a single 32gb stick with the cost of your 2x8.
If I was you, I'd get the graphic and let it be bottlenecked by my cpu until I can change to a DDR5 mobo and a new AMD. just wait for the baby generation, infant ddr5 will come before snows melt. newer mobos will serve faster SSD too.

Solution