[SOLVED] I want to upgrade from my Geforce GTX 750 ti - triple monitor to what?

netrate

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I paid about $150 for my triple monitor setup about 6 years ago. I am doing a lot more video rendering now and want to upgrade the GPU. What is also comparable in price that has newer technology but still enables 3 monitor setup? I would need DVI, VGA and HDMI if possible to minimize the cost of buying more cables (if possible).

Solution
Your biggest hurdle will be the VGA connection, it's considered ancient and almost all better video cards dropped VGA as a connection years ago, it simply would not handle higher graphics frequency or fps demands.
VGA would likely have been able to scale to 4k60, except the market was well on its way to adopting flat panels before 1080p became mainstream so it just didn't make sense to push the digital-analog-digital conversion any further than VGA's historic 2048x1536x60 cap. What few CRTs were ever made that could support that resolution were a chore to calibrate to display it reasonably well - been there, done that on my Viewsonc P95f, 10/10 wouldn't do it again and I even ended up lowering my resolution to 1600x1200 because...
I paid about $150 for my triple monitor setup about 6 years ago. I am doing a lot more video rendering now and want to upgrade the GPU. What is also comparable in price that has newer technology but still enables 3 monitor setup? I would need DVI, VGA and HDMI if possible to minimize the cost of buying more cables (if possible).
Not a good time to shop for a gpu the prices have gone nuts.
At a 150 bucks maybe shop for a gtx 1050 ti.
It will be a step up but you might be better to wait and see if prices come down.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Anything better than what you have.

Your biggest hurdle will be the VGA connection, it's considered ancient and almost all better video cards dropped VGA as a connection years ago, it simply would not handle higher graphics frequency or fps demands.

You can use dvi-i to vga adapter, as they are both analog signals, but with most graphics cards being hdmi/display port/dvi-d dual now, you'd need an active adapter to change the digital format to analog format.

Reactions: netrate

InvalidError

Titan
VGA would likely have been able to scale to 4k60, except the market was well on its way to adopting flat panels before 1080p became mainstream so it just didn't make sense to push the digital-analog-digital conversion any further than VGA's historic 2048x1536x60 cap. What few CRTs were ever made that could support that resolution were a chore to calibrate to display it reasonably well - been there, done that on my Viewsonc P95f, 10/10 wouldn't do it again and I even ended up lowering my resolution to 1600x1200 because excessive drift at 2048x1536 was driving me nuts.

Ok so if I manage to use DVI for both and HDMI, what would be a decent $150 budget card for editing but still enabling the triple monitor setup?
Practically anything modern does a minimum of triple outputs. If your video editing software supports NVEnc for encoding and decoding, then you may want to aim for a 1650 Super at a minimum for access to the latest incarnation of that feature.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS