[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my computer. Check compatibility, please.

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Hello,

Here is my current build:
  • Case: NZXT H500i ATX
  • CPU: i5 6500 LGA1151
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6 GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB
  • MOBO: MSI Z170A M3 LGA1151
  • PSU: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze

I want to upgrade my CPU to the following: (If you think that there's a better i7 or i9 CPU for around 1000-1500 AED on amazon.ae, let me know)

Since the socket size of the CPU I want is not LGA1151 but LGA1200, I must purchase a motherboard that supports LGA1200 CPUs, so I went for the following:

I want to also upgrade my GPU, but I don't want any bottlenecking, so how do I know if there won't be bottlenecking? I want to select a GPU from amazon.ae

Also, do I have to upgrade my PSU?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
You want a B560 board.

You want a B560 board.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Initial thoughts:

1.) Compatible: You need to read the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and visit the Asus website to ensure that the motherboard does indeed support the other listed components.

2) Disk drives? You need at least a 240 GB SSD for the boot drive.

3) PSU: You need a higher wattage, higher rated known name brand PSU.

As for bottle-necking how is the computer going to be used? Most software provides a listing of hardware requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as you can afford.

If the hardware cannot support the software then performance will suffer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bottleneck is meaningless. A bottleneck by definition is a component that slows down or chokes the flow of data. That means a cpu can never be a bottleneck no matter what, since it's the source of the data. You get whatever you get. An 11400 might not be as powerful as an 11900k, and might get a whole lot less frames or more time on productivity apps, but it is what it is.

More often than not, the only 2 components that dignify the term 'bottleneck' are the gpu and the monitor. If the gpu cannot reproduce what the cpu gives it, it's a choke. Similarly, if the monitor cannot refresh as many or more times than frames are given, it's a choke.

Neither of which affects performance, just your opinion of the performance you want vs the performance you get.