[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my CPU. Any suggestions?

Feb 18, 2020
Any recommendations are appreciated.
My PC specs are:
MSI MS-7850
2x8gb -16GB RAM DDR3 1600Mhz
Intel Core i5-4690K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Definitely willing to replace motherboard if needed.

Solution
Thanks for the reply! I'm honestly just looking to have better performance in games at the moment. My cpu is running at 100% on some games and I wasn't sure why. So, I would need to replace the mobo, ram, and cpu if I were looking to upgrade then? I'm looking in the 300-400 dollar range for spending. This was my first build I've done so I don't know very much and am looking to learn more. Any suggestions on ram and motherboard?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y83ybX
There, they are all on amazon and a good upgrade from your last hardware.

However if you will be doing more video editing or more tasks at oonce then the 2700x wI'll suit you better at $170 on amazon.

I chosee 3600mhz ram as you want the fastest for ryzen to...

InvalidError

Titan
Modern CPUs require DDR4, so you'll need to factor in an extra $70-180 for memory depending on how much and how fast you want to aim for.

May want to wait for Intel's 10-series CPUs to launch since Intel turning on SMT across the board will yield ~30% higher bang-per-buck across most of its lineup assuming prices stay roughly the same.

Would help to know how much you are looking to spend and how much of what you intend to do.

For mostly gaming, you have three options: the Ryzen 2600 is the "value king" unless you count the 1600AF, the 3600 gets you pretty much to the most FPS AMD's Ryzen can wring out of mid-range GPUs and Intel's CPUs still edge out AMD in some cases if you don't mind the higher prices.

For general productivity and heavily-threaded workloads, the Ryzen 2700X would also be a fine option for a budget workstation, otherwise you are looking at throwing in an extra $100+ for a Ryzen 3700+ or i7+.

Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for the reply! I'm honestly just looking to have better performance in games at the moment. My cpu is running at 100% on some games and I wasn't sure why. So, I would need to replace the mobo, ram, and cpu if I were looking to upgrade then? I'm looking in the 300-400 dollar range for spending. This was my first build I've done so I don't know very much and am looking to learn more. Any suggestions on ram and motherboard?

Last edited:

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
I could get a pc part picker list and see if you like it

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020

However if you will be doing more video editing or more tasks at oonce then the 2700x wI'll suit you better at $170 on amazon.

I chosee 3600mhz ram as you want the fastest for ryzen to run at their full potential

The motherboard I have picked as it supports both 2nd and 3rd gen ryzen if you wish to upgrade later.

Sorry for spelling errors I am typing on a tablet

Solution

KESH JHOOMUCK

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
What you'll be upgrading is the CPU, the Motherboard and the RAM. The gpu is fine to run the latest games. The go to is definitely a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600x depends on your budget, for the motherboard go for a X570 chipset you can get a MSI Gaming Plus for 150-170$ and for the ram get atleast 16GB 3200Mhz because Ryzen works best with fast memory.

Feb 18, 2020

I chosee 3600mhz ram as you want the fastest for ryzen to run at their full potential

The motherboard I have picked as it supports both 2nd and 3rd gen ryzen if you wish to upgrade later.

Sorry for spelling errors I am typing on a tablet
I really appreciate it! Thanks so much for the info. I'm gonna think it over. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS