[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my CPU but help

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Hello,

I have an MSI Z170A GAMING M3 motherboard that supports an LGA1151 socket and I think that it supports up to a 7th gen CPU but not higher.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy a new CPU because my current one is crap (i5 6500 3.2 GHz) and it has a stock cooler (I'll already buy an AIO cooler soon).

My gaming PC looks nice and all that but I got a bottleneck because my GPU is MSI GTX 1060 6 GB GAMING X. I'll upgrade that too, so what is a good CPU to buy (Has to be i7 minimum) and has to be compatible with an RTX 2000 or 3000 series GPU (To not bottleneck basically).

Solution
Hello,

I have an MSI Z170A GAMING M3 motherboard that supports an LGA1151 socket and I think that it supports up to a 7th gen CPU but not higher.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy a new CPU because my current one is crap (i5 6500 3.2 GHz) and it has a stock cooler (I'll already buy an AIO cooler soon).

My gaming PC looks nice and all that but I got a bottleneck because my GPU is MSI GTX 1060 6 GB GAMING X. I'll upgrade that too, so what is a good CPU to buy (Has to be i7 minimum) and has to be compatible with an RTX 2000 or 3000 series GPU (To not bottleneck basically).
The best you can get for your board is an i7-7700k. ebay has listings if you want a used one. Update bios first! Better off getting new CPU and motherboard IMO.
Oct 5, 2020
You should by new Motherboard and new CPU i think because it makes no sense to spend money on the old socket. If you haven't got budget for these you can buy I7 7700K and Overclock it but you should be BIOS update for use 7.Generation CPU's.

Hello,

The best you can get for your board is an i7-7700k. ebay has listings if you want a used one. Update bios first! Better off getting new CPU and motherboard IMO.

Reactions: Dyrex
Solution

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018

Okay so if I go for an i7-7700k and I buy an AIO cooler, would that be good? Even if I bought an RTX 2000 or 3000 series GPU? No bottle-necking would occur?

Also, is an AIO cooler enough if I overclock the i7-7700k? Is it worth overclocking? Would it reduce the life span of the CPU?

Thanks.

Oct 5, 2020
Hello,

I recommend a i7-9700F . Good with 1060 6gb and with TDP of 35W can use a stick cooler, but YOu need new MB anyway

Okay so if I go for an i7-7700k and I buy an AIO cooler, would that be good? Even if I bought an RTX 2000 or 3000 series GPU? No bottle-necking would occur?

Also, is an AIO cooler enough if I overclock the i7-7700k? Is it worth overclocking? Would it reduce the life span of the CPU?

Thanks.
You're talking about overclocking a used CPU. You have no way of knowing what the results may be. It could have been already heavily overclocked by someone else and have little life left in it. IMO it would be smarter to invest in a new motherboard and CPU. Putting money into an older system and buying used parts for it may end up just being a waste of money.

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
You're talking about overclocking a used CPU. You have no way of knowing what the results may be. It could have been already heavily overclocked by someone else and have little life left in it. IMO it would be smarter to invest in a new motherboard and CPU. Putting money into an older system and buying used parts for it may end up just being a waste of money.

It's going to be a new CPU.