[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my CPU, which cpu should i buy?

Myuris

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Hello, I am planning on upgrading my CPU and I have 2 options for buying. One is ryzen 3 3100 the other is core i5 10400f. which one should i buy if i want it only for gaming, coding, and light video editing? I am confused because a lot of people said that AMD ryzen 3 7nm processor can outperform intel core i5 10th series. Is it true?

note: i am using my old ram ddr4 2 slots 16gb and 2133Mhz

Solution
in my country the price of ryzen 3 3100 and core i5 10th series is almost the same, so I have to just take the core i5 i think.
As @getochkn noted, you'll need motherboard and ram so if balancing cost/performance of processor across the platforms be sure to include that. RAM might be a wash but there are some considerations you'll need the right overclockable Intel board. You can overclock RAM with any AM4 motherboard (even A320 chipset board with XMP). Overclockable Intel boards tend to be more expensive.

Ryzen benefits more from overclocking RAM than the CPU so it's desireable to go with 3200 RAM, or up to 3600 even but that gets increasingly 'iffy', and overclock it there. A320 boards, that allow overclocking RAM with...
The ryzen 3 is slower than the i5.
Ryzen 5000 series (which does not have ryzen 3, only 5 and up) is faster (per core, and also has more cores than intel) and is 7 nm
Ryzen 3000 series is pretty much the same per core as intel, but usually less expensive for the same amount of cores. It is also 7 nm, just the older zen 2, not zen 3 like ryzen 5000.
The i5 is as fast per core as the 3100, or even a little faster, and has 6 cores 6 threads, unlike the 4 core 8 thread of the r3.

The i5 is faster in almost everything, but should also be more expensive.

Myuris

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
The ryzen 3 is slower than the i5.
Ryzen 5000 series (which does not have ryzen 3, only 5 and up) is faster (per core, and also has more cores than intel) and is 7 nm
Ryzen 3000 series is pretty much the same per core as intel, but usually less expensive for the same amount of cores. It is also 7 nm, just the older zen 2, not zen 3 like ryzen 5000.
The i5 is as fast per core as the 3100, or even a little faster, and has 6 cores 6 threads, unlike the 4 core 8 thread of the r3.

The i5 is faster in almost everything, but should also be more expensive.
in my country the price of ryzen 3 3100 and core i5 10th series is almost the same, so I have to just take the core i5 i think.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
Right now the 10400Fit makes more sense to me (even the 10100f), specially for gaming. The negative point on intel is the RAM, you need a Z motheboard to do overclock, no Z motheboards can do till 2666 mhz I think, which it's perfect for your RAM.
I think the competition for 3100 is the 10100f. 10400f it have a close price to 3600....
If you can't make it to the 3600, get an intel.

As @getochkn noted, you'll need motherboard and ram so if balancing cost/performance of processor across the platforms be sure to include that. RAM might be a wash but there are some considerations you'll need the right overclockable Intel board. You can overclock RAM with any AM4 motherboard (even A320 chipset board with XMP). Overclockable Intel boards tend to be more expensive.

Ryzen benefits more from overclocking RAM than the CPU so it's desireable to go with 3200 RAM, or up to 3600 even but that gets increasingly 'iffy', and overclock it there. A320 boards, that allow overclocking RAM with XMP, can be had pretty cheaply.

Solution

Latest posts