I want to upgrade my CPU with this M2N68-LA (Ivy8) mobo

Solution
Well, you might be able to find a chip to go into it on ebay, but I seriously doubt you'll find anything new available. Any further upgrades would probably be a waste of money, and you should save for a full rebuild, however long that may take. Spending on upgrading that would just stall your ability to save to replace the whole thing. Also, if you're focused on saving for that rebuild or new system, you're more likely to save more money and get better returns in the long run. That's my advice, take it or leave it.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
WOW i thought discussion about this board was dead, i was looking for some user to come along and bring it back up like yourself, anyways i want to keep this motherboard and do not have money to pretty much build a new computer, i heard a few people modded their bios to accept the phenom series, you think that could be done?

dgingeri

Distinguished
Well, you might be able to find a chip to go into it on ebay, but I seriously doubt you'll find anything new available. Any further upgrades would probably be a waste of money, and you should save for a full rebuild, however long that may take. Spending on upgrading that would just stall your ability to save to replace the whole thing. Also, if you're focused on saving for that rebuild or new system, you're more likely to save more money and get better returns in the long run. That's my advice, take it or leave it.

Solution

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

this was just some extra computer i had but i thought a modded bios could be done virtually now, like their are programs to do i thought?

Hawc

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

This is an old thread but I've been running an Athlon X2 6000+ (Brisbane 3.1Ghz 89W) for years with that motherboard in a Compaq/HP SR5501P with the stock bios. I upgraded the PSU and the CPU cooler and along with a GTS250 it made a good little budget gamer.
I hope that helps someone with the same mobo.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

haha thanks for the reply that would of been great to know like a few months ago, but thank you for posting it for anybody else with the question, i have a FX 8320 now but thanks for posting anyways

Tim S

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

Just got through doing that myself, but I used the Athlon 64 x2 4400+ instead (2.311 GHz actual speed BH-G2). Not quite as fast as the 4800, but it's only about 100 MHz shy of the 4800+ and way better than the single core 2.0 GHz Sempron that was in it. I found it on eBay and it was the only reasonable dual core / dual thread CPU I could find at the time. I'm glad I did it too. Everything runs much faster and smoother. Plus, I can play some games I couldn't play before. This was my final upgrade on this MoBo. My next purchase will be a new system, but that probably won't be until Windows 9 comes out (if I'm lucky). Even then, I'll probably go cheap and upgrade piece-by-piece, either barebones deal or another Wally World Special. Not many Walmart PC's turn out so good, but the MoBo we're talking about here has been an exception. I'm surpirsed it's holding up so well and survived a CPU upgrade. I guess that's what happens when you combine ASUS with an Nvidia chipset. In fact, I haven't had to replace anything, only do upgrades whenever I got around to it.

Based on previous experiences (and now this one too), If you're strapped for cash, but can spend less than $60 for a quick improvement most of your programs can benefit from, then go ahead with your idea and get the part. Don't be a sucker consumer and get power you're not going to use. It's fun, it's educational, and it's better than making payments on a Dell.