I want to upgrade my Dell OptiPlex 755's graphics from integrated to a card

Mar 2, 2018
Hey guys! I am looking to upgrade my Dell Optiplex's graphics from integrated graphics to a card. My CPU and RAM already meet the most intensive games i want to run (Terraria and Rocket League) and now i need graphics card. I am looking to get it for quite cheap, at around 25 pounds, 34.48 american dollars, 44.34 Canadian and 27.99 euros (GBP being the actual currency). Can you help me with this?

Solution

No. No way of doing that

If the monitor has multiple inputs, there's no reason why that would not work. Even if it has a single input, you could use a Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) switch to toggle between the two systems.

-Wolf sends
The problem you're going to have is that your PSU may not have any PCIe connectors but the only GPUs you'll be able to afford will likely require them. You're also going to introduce bottlenecks if you pair an ancient GPU with a relatively modern CPU as the former won't be able to keep up with the latter.

Is there any way to increase your budget?

Wolfshadw

Titan
There are four versions of the Optiplex 755:

Mini-Tower (MT)
Desktop (DT)
Small Form Factor (SFF)
Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF)

This PDF details all four. The MT is the only one that can accept a full sized graphics card. The DT and SFF can only accept low-profile graphic cards. the USFF cannot accept a graphics card at all. There may also be a 25 watt limitation on the PCI-Ex16 expansion slot. If that is the case, then the power supply is not a concern.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Just in case: UK EBay - GT 730 (full height) - £25

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Depends on the version you have. The DT & SFF models will force you to use a low-profile GPU, but the MT model can probably take a full-size one (https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_755_techspecs.pdf).

Power-wise, there are a number of GPUs that don't require PCIe power connectors & will be much better than the Radeon HD 2400 GPU these models come with (note that, since these machines use Core 2 CPUs, they don't have integrated graphics, but are using very underpowered GPUs by today's standards). The GTX 750Ti, some of the low-power GTX 950 models, & even some GTX 1050 models only draw power from the PCIe slot itself. Barring that, the GT 1030 should be a decent card.

Mar 2, 2018
i may give up on it, unless external gpus with their own psu is an option. I have the USFF. But as i said, can i rig up an external graphics card with its own psu ans use connectors or is that not an option?

Wolfshadw

Titan

No. No way of doing that

If the monitor has multiple inputs, there's no reason why that would not work. Even if it has a single input, you could use a Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) switch to toggle between the two systems.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Mar 2, 2018

Ok, Ill look into that. Thanks for all your help though!

If it even had a PCIe 1x slot you could do something. But you've got nothing. I would suggest a different computer, and read the manual before buying so you can avoid ones with under powered PCIe slots. Mini Towers are much preferred.25W and 35W slots are common in Desktop, and SFF versions. 75W in towers.