[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my desktop to run better with games like modern warfare but honestly clueless what to swap out?

Jul 18, 2020
CyberPowerPC Gamer Master AMD Ryzen 3 8GB Memory GeForce GT 1030 2GB Graphics Card 1TB Hard Drive 120GB SSD Windows 10 Gaming Desktop Computer
This is what I purchased to start with and only upgraded the ram to 32gb. My friends say I can upgrade other components so any advise what to upgrade and upgrade to is greatly appreciated

Solution
In my opinion, a better graphics card will give you the best bang for your buck to improve gaming performance regardless of what cpu you have. Of course you probably can upgrade to a ryzen 7 but it is more involved and probably includes a bios update. For the same money, a new gpu will do better for higher fps and better image quality.

popatim

Titan
Which Ryzen 3?
Which motherboard?
Which PSU ?

32Gb wont matter and isn't needed for gaming. 16 is enough.
It's probable that you'll need a new PSU as well given Cyberpower's history .

So far we are looking at pretty much guttinng this case. it's questionable if the motherboard will support an newer CPU's

We need: CPU, Ram, PSU, and GPU.
Possibly: CPU Cooler, Larger SSD, and maybe even the motherboard.

There is a lot needs upgrading to be honest.

What is your motherboard model? Model should be printed along the top edge or down the middle of the motherboard somewhere.

What is the exact model of your power supply? PSU model will be listed on the specifications decal on the side of the power supply.

What is the maximum budget you can throw at upgrades?

The easiest/quickest upgrade would be an RTX 2060 graphics card as long as you have at least a 500 watt power supply.
That's poor advise on three fronts.

First of all, not all 500w power supplies are created equal, so saying a "500w power supply" is adequate is like saying you should have tires on your car if you're going to run the Daytona 500.

Secondly, there are so few "500w" units out there that are worth using that it's probably not even worth saying "500w". Better would be to recommend a good 550w unit, which give you a LITTLE bit of headroom and ensures that the person PROBABLY ends up with a somewhat newer unit since there are few very old 550w models and very few recent 500w models of any note worth mentioning.

Thirdly, considering the OP has a GT 1030, practically ANY gaming card is an improvement, plus the RTX 2060 is going to be severely hamstrung by any of the Ryzen 3 models, even the latest ones, and it would not be a good pairing at all.

WHICH Ryzen 3 do you have?

What power supply model do you have? Not "how many watts". What MODEL? Watts mean nothing. Fully 75% of the power supplies out there can't support even 3/4ths of the wattage that they are labeled as being able to provide. There are tons of power supplies that say 600w but can't do more than about 450w, or even less in some cases, continuously. It matters. Get the model off the label.

jwcrellin

Reputable
In my opinion, a better graphics card will give you the best bang for your buck to improve gaming performance regardless of what cpu you have. Of course you probably can upgrade to a ryzen 7 but it is more involved and probably includes a bios update. For the same money, a new gpu will do better for higher fps and better image quality.

Solution

jwcrellin

Reputable
Nope, just unscrew the 1-2 Philips screws at the rear of your case and press down on the pci-e slot clasp attached to the motherboard to pop your old card out. Install the new card in reverse order. Don't forget to plug in that 8 pin pci-e cord. Plug your monitor into it.
Do all this with PC unplugged.
The pc may take a second to recognize it but it will all auto initialize. When you get into windows, download the current drivers.

Jul 18, 2020
Nope, just unscrew the 1-2 Philips screws at the rear of your case and press down on the pci-e slot clasp attached to the motherboard to pop your old card out. Install the new card in reverse order. Don't forget to plug in that 8 pin pci-e cord. Plug your monitor into it.
Do all this with PC unplugged.
The pc may take a second to recognize it but it will all auto initialize. When you get into windows, download the current drivers.
Thank you for the advice you have been a major help

You mentioned Modern Warefare, we need to know which cpu you have. Some lower end 4 core/thread models will run this game very poorly regardless of gpu choice. Upgrading the gpu without knowing the cpu is bad advice as you may end up with a poor gaming experience and spending all your budget on a gpu.

It would also help to know what speed your RAM but thats less important than knowing the exact cpu.

Jul 18, 2020
You mentioned Modern Warefare, we need to know which cpu you have. Some lower end 4 core/thread models will run this game very poorly regardless of gpu choice. Upgrading the gpu without knowing the cpu is bad advice as you may end up with a poor gaming experience and spending all your budget on a gpu.

It would also help to know what speed your RAM but thats less important than knowing the exact cpu.
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X 3.5GHz CPU, this is what I found not sure if thats what you are asking for

AMD Ryzen 3 2300X 3.5GHz CPU, this is what I found not sure if thats what you are asking for
That cpu is only 4 core and 4 thread, it’s going to run games that are heavy on the cpu poorly and Modern Warefare is very cpu heavy. Depending on budget you want to upgrade both the cpu and gpu. For cpu if budget allows a 6 core 12 thread cpu would be ideal, some choices are (1600AF, 2600, 3600). You might need to update the BIOS first.

What resolution and Hz is your monitor? This will help determine what gpu’s you might want. What’s the budget for this upgrade? Can you confirm what speed your RAM is?

Jul 18, 2020
That cpu is only 4 core and 4 thread, it’s going to run games that are heavy on the cpu poorly and Modern Warefare is very cpu heavy. Depending on budget you want to upgrade both the cpu and gpu. For cpu if budget allows a 6 core 12 thread cpu would be ideal, some choices are (1600AF, 2600, 3600). You might need to update the BIOS first.

What resolution and Hz is your monitor? This will help determine what gpu’s you might want. What’s the budget for this upgrade? Can you confirm what speed your RAM is?
Not sure about ram speed package says ripjaws v ddr4-3200 16gbx2 and the monitors max resolution is 1920x1080