[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my desktop to run better with games like modern warfare but honestly clueless what to swap out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 18, 2020
CyberPowerPC Gamer Master AMD Ryzen 3 8GB Memory GeForce GT 1030 2GB Graphics Card 1TB Hard Drive 120GB SSD Windows 10 Gaming Desktop Computer
This is what I purchased to start with and only upgraded the ram to 32gb. My friends say I can upgrade other components so any advise what to upgrade and upgrade to is greatly appreciated

Solution
In my opinion, a better graphics card will give you the best bang for your buck to improve gaming performance regardless of what cpu you have. Of course you probably can upgrade to a ryzen 7 but it is more involved and probably includes a bios update. For the same money, a new gpu will do better for higher fps and better image quality.
And that's exactly why I asked that, and exactly why the advise, and BA given above, were both poor choices. Throwing a big graphics card at the system doesn't solve every problem. While pretty much ANY half decent graphics card is of course going to be almost a necessity when you're running a GT 1030, by itself, it may not be the cure you are looking for. It's probably the start, but you're still going to have a lack of performance with an older Ryzen 3 that has few cores AND has relatively low single core performance, more comparable in fact to a five year old i3-6320 when it comes to single core performance comparisons.

jwcrellin

Reputable
And that's exactly why I asked that, and exactly why the advise, and BA given above, were both poor choices. Throwing a big graphics card at the system doesn't solve every problem. While pretty much ANY half decent graphics card is of course going to be almost a necessity when you're running a GT 1030, by itself, it may not be the cure you are looking for. It's probably the start, but you're still going to have a lack of performance with an older Ryzen 3 that has few cores AND has relatively low single core performance, more comparable in fact to a five year old i3-6320 when it comes to single core performance comparisons.

Oh, there is an upgrade path there most certainly. I was just thinking, if he were to spend $400 on a RTX2060, he'd get an extra 40 fps in Warzone over that old gt1030. For that same $400 he could get a 3700x and maybe a tower cooler if he found a good bundle. Firstly, his motherboard would need a bios update (if one is even available) and there are risks there (power outages=brick). And the result would be maybe 10 extra fps in Warzone. To me that's not worth it by itself.

Jul 18, 2020
The limitation will be how much to spend on this upgrade. With 1080P 60Hz you don’t need too high of a gpu if you are willing to sacrifice game settings. Ideally the minimum you want is a 1600AF and GTX 1660 but if budget allows you could go higher.
The budget is not a problem but from the info you have without going out and buying a completely new desktop what upgrades would you make like the actual components with the names so I know what I'm ordering online

The budget is not a problem but from the info you have without going out and buying a completely new desktop what upgrades would you make like the actual components with the names so I know what I'm ordering online
If budget allows a Ryzen R5 3600 or 3600X and RTX 2060 or RTX 2060 Super would give you a very strong gaming system for 1080p 60fps/Hz s and should last a few years.

I am a little sceptical of your psu quality. It’s not the worst but it’s also not great. You would not want to run any gpu that requires more power than the 2060 Super.

You also want to check your RAM is running at 3200mhz. You will need to enable XMP in the BIOS as by default it will set to 2400mhz.

Reactions: jbuck78
Jul 18, 2020
Thank you
If budget allows a Ryzen R5 3600 or 3600X and RTX 2060 or RTX 2060 Super would give you a very strong gaming system for 1080p 60fps/Hz s and should last a few years.

I am a little sceptical of your psu quality. It’s not the worst but it’s also not great. You would not want to run any gpu that requires more power than the 2060 Super.

You also want to check you RAM is running at 3200mhz. You will need to enable XMP in the BIOS as by default it will set to 2400mhz.
Thank you

Oh, there is an upgrade path there most certainly. I was just thinking, if he were to spend $400 on a RTX2060, he'd get an extra 40 fps in Warzone over that old gt1030. For that same $400 he could get a 3700x and maybe a tower cooler if he found a good bundle. Firstly, his motherboard would need a bios update (if one is even available) and there are risks there (power outages=brick). And the result would be maybe 10 extra fps in Warzone. To me that's not worth it by itself.
So you think that upgrading the graphics card automatically gives you an extra 40FPS huh? LOL.

That really depends. When the CPU is ALREADY not capable enough to keep up with the frame rate, adding a more capable graphics card isn't going to improve that. Your machine can only feed as many FPS as the CPU is capable of handling, and it wouldn't matter if you had a 2080 TI if the CPU is not capable enough to handle 60FPS, or whatever the target is. In this case, with the 2300x, which is as I said about on par with a five year old i3-6320, there's a very good chance of that.