[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my (gaming) rig and need some help/advice

ruvruvruv

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Hello! Sooo I want to upgrade my PC and have a budget of around 700-800 euros. My system is working fine at the moment but now I got the time and especially money to do some upgrading, even if it may not be necessary. However, since around 3 months or so, my CPU gets extremely hot (90-98°C) when playing specific games for 1-2+ hours (Apex Legends, ARK, Rainbow 6,...) and I don't exactly know why, so maybe you could give me some advice regarding that as well because I'd like to get that fixed before upgrading (or maybe through replacing/upgrading something like my CPU or CPU cooler).

My Specs: (every component was bought around 3 years ago, and my PC is turned on for 10-14 hours (working + gaming) everyday since then)

CPU: i7 7700K @4.20 GHz (Turbo-Boost disabled since my temp issues)
GPU: GTX 1080 - Palit Super Jetstream
Mainboard: ASRock Z270 Killer SLI
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400MHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 240mm (may be the source of my temp issues?)
PSU: 700W beQuiet! Pure Power 9

I completely cleaned my rig from dust (including the cooler radiator) with a compressed air spray and replaced my thermal paste, which didn't really fix my temp issue (temps went down by around 5°C). And in case it's important to know, I have 3 fans at the front of my case to take in air, 1 in the back as "exhaust" and the H100i radiator sits at the top of the case.

I highly appreciate any help, since I'm not a hardware pro (but I think I am able to exchange any part of my rig if necessary, since I was able to build it in the first place :D) and don't really know where to start or what the best upgrade would be. Thanks in advance!! :)

Solution
Wouldn't upgrade anything right now. Fix your cooling and wait till ampere.

Maybe upgrade your RAM too 3600 or whatever the max your Mobo can handle. You could get some cheap frames there.
I suspect your AIO has bit the dust....

Make sure the AIO pump is properly plugged in (the connector didn't come undone). And feel the water block to see if you can feel any vibrations that would signify the pump is actually circulating (not sure if you'd feel anything even if the pump was operating normally).

Aside from the temp issues, component-wise, you've got a very capable system...do you have an SSD? What monitor?

You're sure your PSU is a "pure power" and not a "system power" model? Pure Power has semi-modular cables and 80+ Silver efficiency rating.

Last edited:

ruvruvruv

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Yes I kinda suspected that too, but wasn't sure if it could also be a CPU-side problem.
Yeah it's properly plugged in, and I already did that "test" after googling a bit when the problem came up, I don't feel any vibrations at all (just tested it again).
Yes I know and I'm very satisfied, just thought I might upgrade it, especially the CPU because it aways has been pretty hot and many people say that the 7700K gets hotter than most other processors, but I don't know if a newer CPU would be any better in that regard. And I would also have to replace my Mainboard if I'd like a let's say i7 9700K, right?

Yeah I got a 250GB SSD and 2 TB HDD and I'm planning on buying a 1 or 2 TB SSD so i can have more games on the SSD (excluded from my 700-800€ Budget), and a 1080p144Hz main Monitor and a 1080p60Hz secondary monitor. I also thought about a 1440p144Hz Monitor but I'm not very sure if my main games would reach 144 fps on 1440p.

And yes I'm sure about the PSU (got Pure Power), just checked it again, what's the difference between these two (besides the semi-modular cables and the rating)?
Thanks a lot for your reply :)

ruvruvruv

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Also, my coolant temperature is at 46-49°C while gaming even when the side of my case is open (I've read somewhere that the warm GPU air might cause higher temperature if the rear fan is too weak or not there at all), but that wouldn't make much sense anyway since I only have this problem since a few months and not since I got that rig.

ruvruvruv

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Wouldn't upgrade anything right now. Fix your cooling and wait till ampere.

Maybe upgrade your RAM too 3600 or whatever the max your Mobo can handle. You could get some cheap frames there.

Okay I see, just gotta find out what's the reason for my high temps :p And yes I might actually do that, didn't even think about that :D Should I use the EXACT same RAM sticks as my other 2 or just the same memory clocks? Thanks for your reply :)

ruvruvruv

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020

TRENDING THREADS