[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my GPU, but don't know if it will fit in my motherboard

Sep 30, 2019
I want to upgrade my GPU (probably to a GTX 1660 or a 1660TI), but don't know if it will fit in my motherboard (which is a asus P8H61 M le) and if it will fit into my new motherboard which I am planning on getting sometime soon (Asus ROG STRIX H370-F). I am still learning about PCs (as you can probably tell), any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
It should work on your current board and will work on the future board as well. I'm curious to learn what the make and model of your PSU is. Also, how old is the PSU?
Sep 30, 2019
It should work on your current board and will work on the future board as well. I'm curious to learn what the make and model of your PSU is. Also, how old is the PSU?
Well i bought my PC second hand, so I don't know how old it is, and I can't find the make and model, but on the small sticker on the back says: Input: 200 - 240 VAC, but then the one number i can see through the case to the PSU says in big: 400W, and its in a grid if that helps. Sorry if I could not be more useful.

DSzymborski

Titan
Well i bought my PC second hand, so I don't know how old it is, and I can't find the make and model, but on the small sticker on the back says: Input: 200 - 240 VAC, but then the one number i can see through the case to the PSU says in big: 400W, and its in a grid if that helps. Sorry if I could not be more useful.

You're absolutely going to have to identify what this PSU specifically is before you buy any GPU.

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, I'm running the GTX 670 at the moment, and I thought that needed more power?

The question is quality as much as sufficient power. It's quite possible that you've been running a GTX 670 on an inappropriate PSU to begin with. This is safety equipment, after all. There's a difference between risking the health of a GPU that you can now buy for $50 used and risking the health of a new GPU that you paid $200-$300 for.

Sep 30, 2019
The question is quality as much as sufficient power. It's quite possible that you've been running a GTX 670 on an inappropriate PSU to begin with. This is safety equipment, after all. There's a difference between risking the health of a GPU that you can now buy for $50 used and risking the health of a new GPU that you paid $200-$300 for.
Good point, I will find out what make and model it is tomorrow. Thanks for all your help

Sep 30, 2019
Its a Zalman "dual-forward power supply" ZM400-GVN, 400 watt. And i dont know how old it is. Will this be alright?

DSzymborski

Titan
Oof, that's pure junk-tier. Zalman sells some OK PSUs on the higher end of their product line, but this one is not one of those. Ancient, group-regulated design -- in 2019 terms, it's a 300W PSU for all intents and purposes -- and low-grade 85-degree capacitors. And Hui Cheng is not a reputable manufacturer.

Unfortunately, your PC's previous owner did not emphasize safety. You're quite fortunate that your GPU hasn't had a premature death. This is a priority replacement before you start shelling out money on a quality GPU. If you're going to continue using this in the short-term, I'd recommend reducing your risk and making sure to not leave the PC on if you're not home.

Reactions: Darthblazer24
Sep 30, 2019
Oof, that's pure junk-tier. Zalman sells some OK PSUs on the higher end of their product line, but this one is not one of those. Ancient, group-regulated design -- in 2019 terms, it's a 300W PSU for all intents and purposes -- and low-grade 85-degree capacitors. And Hui Cheng is not a reputable manufacturer.

Unfortunately, your PC's previous owner did not emphasize safety. You're quite fortunate that your GPU hasn't had a premature death. This is a priority replacement before you start shelling out money on a quality GPU. If you're going to continue using this in the short-term, I'd recommend reducing your risk and making sure to not leave the PC on if you're not home.
What would you suggest i get, like what wattage and what brand

DSzymborski

Titan
What would you suggest i get, like what wattage and what brand

The Corsair CX 550 tends to be the cheapest PSU worth buying. It's a solid budget entrant and will work just fine with GPUs like this. If you think you might go to a 5700xt or a 2080 or something like that, then I'd be a little more ambitious and invest in a top-tier PSU.

Reactions: Darthblazer24
Sep 30, 2019
The Corsair CX 550 tends to be the cheapest PSU worth buying. It's a solid budget entrant and will work just fine with GPUs like this. If you think you might go to a 5700xt or a 2080 or something like that, then I'd be a little more ambitious and invest in a top-tier PSU.
Thanks a lot, and i hate to bother you further, but would you suggest i get a 1660ti or a 1660, i want to use it for gaming (possibly AAA titles) and streaming.