Oct 29, 2019
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700
GPU: PALIT GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB
RAM: 16 GB 2133 mhz
Motherboard: Asus H110M-CS
Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock
SSD: Kingston 120 GB
HDD: Toshiba 1 TB

this is my current built. i wonder if i should get gtx 1070 or 1660ti? what do you guys thhink its best for this setup and do i need to change motherboard or something? will the cooling be a problem?

can i fit it in this ? https://s12emagst.akamaized.net/pro...res_7fa7ca05c1440503d94936def7e8c664_full.jpg (its almost exactly the same, but i dont have the top fan for some reason

i am newbie and would appreciate all the help i could get

Solution
i just wanna check one last time if my mobo can support the 1080ti, cuz no one actually confirmed it.

i also wanna ask other than quad channel 4x4gb 3200mhz and better cpu, is there something else you guys can recommend for improving performance.

goal is low settings high performance, preferable 240+ fps.

i dont really plan to buy cpu and ram anytime soon, but imma buy nice chair thats gonna get me some fps.

last, last question.

lets say i buy ryzen 7 3700x, which has approximately 50% better performance (if i am not mistaken) and i get quad channel mobo (reasonable price) + 4x4gb ram.

how much W psu i will need? considering ill buy seasonic .

this one is considerably cheap for example

Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550W Gold...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @battlecries

Here are the specs of your motherboard. It'll easily support either the 1070 or 1660ti. Whats your max comfortable budget? Also, what type of PSU do you have? The 1660ti is less expensive than the 1070 & slightly faster overall. Both will pair very nicely with your i7-7700 and be a substantial improvement over your 1050ti.

As for cooling, we'd all advise that you had good fan management, so you had cool air sucked into your tower, while warm air was sucked out. Regardless of which card you go with, I'd advise you to have a fan control program installed, such as MSI Afterburner or Precision X1. Both will work with any GPU, regardless of make/model. (MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Zotac, Sapphire, etc.) I personally use Precision X1 for my 1060.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
Hi @battlecries

Here are the specs of your motherboard. It'll easily support either the 1070 or 1660ti. Whats your max comfortable budget? Also, what type of PSU do you have?

i don't rly know how to check what my PSU is and i dont rly care about the price as long as it performs well (gaming) .
since i bought the pc prebuilt i assume the PSU is <Mod Edit> , but who knows. they stole my fan so .. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
i don't rly know how to check what my PSU is and i dont rly care about the price as long as it performs well (gaming) .
since i bought the pc prebuilt i assume the PSU is <Mod Edit> , but who knows. they stole my fan so .. :D

A Good PSU is critical. Remove the cover of your tower and take a pic of the sticker on the PSU and post it here. We have several very knowledgeable PSU guru's here that will tell you in an instant if you have a good PSU or not. We just need the info. If price is no object, then how about an 5700 or 2080 series? :) If between the 2 you listed, then get the 1660ti.

Oct 29, 2019
okay i will give it a shot with the pic but it will not be easy. do u think my pc is good enough to actually buy 5700 or 2080 for it? isnt it a bit too much for i7700

Oct 29, 2019
A Good PSU is critical. Remove the cover of your tower and take a pic of the sticker on the PSU and post it here. We have several very knowledgeable PSU guru's here that will tell you in an instant if you have a good PSU or not. We just need the info. If price is no object, then how about an 5700 or 2080 series? :) If between the 2 you listed, then get the 1660ti.

there it is View: https://imgur.com/TwVOwiE

need4speeds

Distinguished
That's like a Coolmax V500. Back in the day they were $19.99 cdn. locally. Many people ran the then new HD-4870 or GTX280 and Core2 quad, X2-6000+ or Phenom 9600, ect. with that and a bunch or molex to 6 pin adapters. Each molex\sata power cable string is one 12volt rail. The trick was to use both rails so one adapter when on one string, the other on the 2nd one. It too had a oddball 12+17A rail so i think inside they are the same power supply.
They work but the fan revs like crazy when you play games. I seen recently a setup with a Ryzen 1600 and a GTX1070, yep a Coolmax V500. So it will power a 100watt cpu and 180watt video card. Just barely with it revving the fans and almost overheating and frying. If you want to live on the edge, the Coolmax V500 has you covered.

I opted to go the safer route and stuck with my trusty Antec True-power 550 that had a 40 amp 12volt rail. It worked fine with a bunch of adapters. I later sold it along with a used HD-4870 card and bought a new on sale OCZ Fatalt1ty 550 that has proper pcie plugs and two 25amp rails. It's also quieter than the twin fan Antec 550.

The Antec Truepower 550 is still working, he upgraded to a Ryzen 2600 and used GTX1070. The amount of adapters to make it work is insane. It lacks any of the modern plugs because they didn't exist yet when the Dual CPU Athlon MP came out.
-The Antec and my OCZ prove that buying a good power supply is a good investment and they usually last for many years.

I was not happy when my comes with the case Youngyear 450watt fried in the middle of gaming and filled the room with likely toxic smoke. I went to the computer store, i said how much for the best power supply. It was about $100. The salesman said "It's for the new dual CPU workstations like the Pentium III and AthlonMP, it's overkill for a home PC. " "You will never need a 40amp 12volt rail." So i bought it anyway. Sometime later 40 amps was not enough and for a little while i ran Crossfire HD-4870's. The Antec Truepower 550 delivered the current needed. When i cleaned it a few times, it's packed with heatsinks and caps and stuff, two 8cm fans, and a pair of Huge Caps. I took the Youngyear apart to rob the fan for a case fan. It has a tiny yellow board in it, i seen the parts that fried and burnt, it has tiny caps. It's mostly a empty metal case. On the board it says it's 230watts. SO THEY JUST CHANGE THE STICKER TO INCREASE THE WATTAGE TO 450WATTS!!!!! So the joke went on for a while that Youngyear means it will die really Young and maybe not even last a year.
Delux=Delux smoke and vape machine when it fries. CoolMax=Trying to the Max to be cool and lives on the edge of frying, that's what the V stands for, when the V-Vape kicks in.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
so is your recommendation to buy the OCZ for my current setup?

i basically have 2 fans+ the "be quiet" cooling and i have slot for 1 more fan which i might or might not want to install,

noise isnt rly that big of a problem, my fans run at 100% allways, so theres always sound coming from the pc.

i need something that will power easily my current pc + the new gpu and 1 more fan (maybe) .

the cheaper the better, but ofc quality is priority.

i plan to take 1-2 more pictures tomorrow and upload them here so i can get advice if i should install the fan and if theres actually enough space cuz it seems kind of smashed together (kind of late now and my phone is broken atm)

need4speeds

Distinguished
Power supply quality changes as time goes on. A long time ago Antec was considered to be #1. Like many companies, once they make a name for themselves it's tempting to swap out for cheaper parts and lower quality manufacturing. The OCZ FataL1ty 550 was a one time thing. OCZ is with PC Power and Cooling. Most companies have a mix of cheap-o power supplies and then their better ones. The cheap ones cut various corners to get to that price point. Ditching Modular is a popular choice and so is going with cheaper capacitors and fans, ect. Many even stamp the fan grill out of the case metal sheet too.

There are some unknown and new brands that are good, but you really have to search for a actual review that tests it properly, and hope they stuck to that level of quality.

----My story was about personal experience and some others i know with cheap power supplies VS. quality ones. ----

They show a cheap 550 watt that is like the 450watt one i had that fried and it's really a 250watt. They too fry it during the testing. The Delux 480 you have that is likely a CoolMax V500 and is better than the 550 watt they tested and close to the cheapest Antec, EVGA, Corsair and others. These end up half way between the really bad 550\250watt they tested and my OCZ 550. The OCZ is likely close to the budget Seasonic 520 watt that's fairly cheap now.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-different-prices/6
The OCZ FataL1ty 550 doesn't have the best ratings in the reviews. It was on sale, it has been ok so far in spite of the ratings.

These power supplies are all pretty old. The OCZ Fatal1Ty 550 was out in 2010, 9 years ago. The Antec True Power is way older, June 5th , 2001 is when the Athlon MP was announced . It's still working in 2019, 18 years later.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $409.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-30 04:26 EDT-0400

RX 5700 VS. RTX 2060 Super
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_2h9NnXHM

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $186.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-30 04:44 EDT-0400

GTX 1050 Ti vs GTX 1650 vs RX 570 With Latest Drivers
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTEWY9IGEbk

need4speeds

Distinguished
The "Expensive" $100 antec ends up being $5.55\year. So i think the $90 750 Gold is the best deal and it will cost the least per year in the end. Also your gonna upgrade the i7-7700 so the RX 5700 is good enough to be reused while the cheaper gpus are not.

Oct 29, 2019
The "Expensive" $100 antec ends up being $5.55\year. So i think the $90 750 Gold is the best deal and it will cost the least per year in the end. Also your gonna upgrade the i7-7700 so the RX 5700 is good enough to be reused while the cheaper gpus are not.

you kind of convinced me into thinking about rx 5700 or rtx 2060

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6GB GDDR6 (GIGABYTE-N2060OC-6GD)

MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC

Palit GeForce RTX 2060 StormX ITX 6GB GDDR6 192bit (NE62060018J9-161F)

these are the cheapest versions of 2060 and theyre 350-370 euro

XFX Radeon RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 256bit (RX-57XL8MFG6)

SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 256bit (21294-01-20G)

these are the cheapest rx 5700 which are 375-382 euro

the PSU seems a bit expensive tho, do i really need that or i can go with something cheaper.

also i made these pics i was talking about so u guys can tell me if the GPU can actually fit (and if i should or could install another fan)

View: https://imgur.com/c3jAcMH

View: https://imgur.com/tSxpy88

i assume i will need more power in the future if i wanna change that i7700 and thats why ure recommending nice PSU.

ty for all your help

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Before you buy a 2060 or 2060 Super, do reviews. When the card works, its a great card. However, there seems to be alot of people at the moment that are having issues with the card under performing. (Not working as good as it should be) As I don't have one, I can't speak from experience. Only what I have been reading. Of course the same could be said about any/all hardware. Some people will say they are fantastic while others (google search 2060 performance problems) have returned them.

Between XFX & Sapphire, I've had a better overall experience with Sapphire. The 5700 is a sweet GPU as well.

Keep in mind that "Black Friday" will be here soon so prices will be lower for the sales. You might have good luck on the following "Cyber Monday" as well. (Depending on where you live of course) As for a PSU, you don't necessarily have to get the one he linked to, (Seasonic are very good tho) but you do not want to "go cheap" on a PSU regardless of what you buy. It really IS worth either waiting to save up or just buying outright, a good PSU.

Exciting times are ahead of you!

Oct 29, 2019
Before you buy a 2060 or 2060 Super, do reviews. When the card works, its a great card. However, there seems to be alot of people at the moment that are having issues with the card under performing. (Not working as good as it should be) As I don't have one, I can't speak from experience. Only what I have been reading. Of course the same could be said about any/all hardware. Some people will say they are fantastic while others (google search 2060 performance problems) have returned them.

Between XFX & Sapphire, I've had a better overall experience with Sapphire. The 5700 is a sweet GPU as well.

Keep in mind that "Black Friday" will be here soon so prices will be lower for the sales. You might have good luck on the following "Cyber Monday" as well. (Depending on where you live of course) As for a PSU, you don't necessarily have to get the one he linked to, (Seasonic are very good tho) but you do not want to "go cheap" on a PSU regardless of what you buy. It really IS worth either waiting to save up or just buying outright, a good PSU.

Exciting times are ahead of you!

i kind of doubt we have cyber monday here since i live in Bulgaria. that psu is a bit too expensive here as it goes to something like 120 $.

i need psu that will be enough to power the current setup + 1 more fan + rx 5700 (maybe 1 more ssd) and eventually in future another CPU. nothing more than that because this will be my investment for years to come.

i dont plan to upgrade any further except another cpu in maybe a year or something.

i see there are 550w and 650w versions of the seasonic, would any of them be an option or i need 750

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I haven't seen any mention of monitor? Are we talking 1920x1080 here? Lower resolution? Higher?

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
  • It would be very helpful to have the exact brand and model number as well.

Oct 29, 2019
I haven't seen any mention of monitor? Are we talking 1920x1080 here? Lower resolution? Higher?

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
  • It would be very helpful to have the exact brand and model number as well.

the monitor is pretty decent
Dell Alienware AW2518HF 24.5" TN, FHD 1920 x 1080

240hz freesync 20-240hz or something 1920x1080

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, got it - now, theoretically speaking, not even a 2080Ti can do 240fps with max details on all modern games. So, what's your general goal?
Low details to try to hit the 200+ fps level?
or
Higher details, and willing to cap the frame rate?
or
???

Oct 29, 2019
Ok, got it - now, theoretically speaking, not even a 2080Ti can do 240fps with max details on all modern games. So, what's your general goal?
Low details to try to hit the 200+ fps level?
or
Higher details, and willing to cap the frame rate?
or
???

goal here is low graphics for higher performance (otherwise i wouldnt have bought that monitor )

Oct 29, 2019
not sure if this is allowed but. UP.

i could use information about exactly what PSU i need (preferably not the best ones) and if possible some more information about 2060 and 5700, because i really dont know whhich one to choose.

people are saying stupid stuff about both gpu's but tbh i prefer nvidia, but amd has better performance afaik?

and what r these things about people constantly having to do <Mod Edit> to make their 2060 work properly.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not that familiar with what's needed to get a certain number of FPS when details are set low... mostly my knowledge is when trying to have high settings.

That said, the 5700 outperforms the 2060.

i could use information about exactly what PSU i need (preferably not the best ones) and if possible some more information about 2060 and 5700, because i really dont know whhich one to choose.

Note what I underlined from your quote. Was that what you actually meant to say? The PSU is the lifeblood of your system. A lesser quality PSU that fails can take out expensive components with it. In the worst cases, can start a fire.

I'd strongly suggest a HIGH QUALITY Seasonic FOCUS or PRIME, or one of the better ones from the Corsair list. See the links at the end of my signature. 550W should be good for your system, though 650 would give you a little extra room in case you upgrade to a more powerful/power-hungry card than the 5700 in the future.

Oct 29, 2019
I'm not that familiar with what's needed to get a certain number of FPS when details are set low... mostly my knowledge is when trying to have high settings.

That said, the 5700 outperforms the 2060.

Note what I underlined from your quote. Was that what you actually meant to say? The PSU is the lifeblood of your system. A lesser quality PSU that fails can take out expensive components with it. In the worst cases, can start a fire.

I'd strongly suggest a HIGH QUALITY Seasonic FOCUS or PRIME, or one of the better ones from the Corsair list. See the links at the end of my signature. 550W should be good for your system, though 650 would give you a little extra room in case you upgrade to a more powerful/power-hungry card than the 5700 in the future.

okay, thank you i was actually trying to ask about the correct W i need for the psu, because i was kind of sure i dont really need 750-800W. it will be seasonic.

and if you say 650 will give me extra room then i should probably go for the 750 in case i decide to change cpu/mobo/ram in future (cuz current mobo limits my ram mhz and i kind of want quad channel)

the gpu will remain the same for long time thats why i need to pick the right one, preferably higher performance, but long term survivability at constant hardcore gaming without any rest or turning off the pc is also top priority.

i kind of abuse my pc. which makes me almost certain that i need the 2060, cuz 5700 obviously has heat issues, doesnt it?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sounds like a good plan overall. But, I'm not sure that 750W would be needed just to accommodate possible future quad-channel RAM. That said, if you think you might go a little crazy later, then the extra headroom doesn't hurt.

I don't know how much stock I'd put in the claims of the 5700 having heat issues. Maybe the 5700XT with the blower, but the 5700 is a 185W card, and the 5700XT is a 225W card (factory specs, non-overclocked), so I'm a little dubious about the claims of heat issues. I have no experience in that regard, though.

Oct 29, 2019
Sounds like a good plan overall. But, I'm not sure that 750W would be needed just to accommodate possible future quad-channel RAM. That said, if you think you might go a little crazy later, then the extra headroom doesn't hurt.

I don't know how much stock I'd put in the claims of the 5700 having heat issues. Maybe the 5700XT with the blower, but the 5700 is a 185W card, and the 5700XT is a 225W card (factory specs, non-overclocked), so I'm a little dubious about the claims of heat issues. I have no experience in that regard, though.

well the main reason for trying to be safe on psu is in case i get another cpu (even tho i dont think mine is that bad yet, but in time..) but yes, thank you i might go for 550/650 since i dont see myself upgrading cpu anytime soon and obv for ram it wont be a problem

need4speeds

Distinguished
It's a old style case, close to the one i have that came with the Youngyear 450. (The Delux 480 likely ships with your case) Mine is black but regular silver inside.

I put my X-fi front panel and dvdrw drive in the two top spots. Then a black foam intake filter in the 2 cdrom spots below it. So it can fit a 12cm fan inside the case with some tiewraps, ect.
I put the HDD's at the bottom and put more filters in the floppy drive spots. (I took out the blanking plates)
A 12cm fan fits inside behind the card.

Do some measuring, it's likely you can make it have way more airflow so it has better cooling.

I had this case since the K6-2-550@613\3dfx Voodoo 3 pci (UT Tournament and Quake II)\Matrox 3d with Ultimate race.

Reactions: Mrgr74