I want to upgrade my NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

what type of card will I need to play the latest games like injustice gods among us?

Specs:
Machine name: HP-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: GN551AA-ABA m8200n
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2942MB RAM
Page File: 2096MB used, 3786MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Display:
-----
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D0&SUBSYS_2A61103C&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1336 MB
Dedicated Memory: 121 MB
Shared Memory: 1215 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: HP w2007 Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP w2007
Monitor Id: HWP26A6
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)
Output Type: HD15

Computer type- HP Pavilion Media Center m8200n Desktop PC

Solution
G
Honestly dude there's a very high chance you won't be able to upgrade much in that system given that it's pre-built, there's an even higher chance that if you could, any modern card you buy would be severely limited by the other specs, especially motherboard lane-generation.

Even if it was possible to buy a modern card, and have it work to its full potential, which is very unlikely, it's going to get hammered by the small amount of ram and pretty weak CPU.

I hate to say it, but it's probably time for a full upgrade. I strongly recommend that you consider building a PC as opposed to buying one in a shop, it allows for far more customisation, ends up far cheaper and in general is pretty fun.
If you decide to go down that route...
G

Honestly dude there's a very high chance you won't be able to upgrade much in that system given that it's pre-built, there's an even higher chance that if you could, any modern card you buy would be severely limited by the other specs, especially motherboard lane-generation.

Even if it was possible to buy a modern card, and have it work to its full potential, which is very unlikely, it's going to get hammered by the small amount of ram and pretty weak CPU.

I hate to say it, but it's probably time for a full upgrade. I strongly recommend that you consider building a PC as opposed to buying one in a shop, it allows for far more customisation, ends up far cheaper and in general is pretty fun.
If you decide to go down that route, post up a thread here and we'll be happy to help find or confirm parts.

Edit: Alright so I did some digging.
The board does, suprisingly, have one PCIe x16 lane. The computer in general is using integrated graphics, but this allows for a card upgrade.
To quote the specifications directly: "Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*".

Bad news? It's Gen 1.0.

Ever bader news? It has a 300w seemingly unbranded power supply. Even a weak card with little power draw could potentially blow it up. It's impossible to know otherwise unless I can see the sticker on the side of it. Even if we give HP the benefit of the doubt and hope that it's a decent built PSU, 300w is still very small, especially considering the CPU eats up 89w of that.

Even bader super duper bad news? The case. It's a MicroATX board, which is usually fine, but being a HP it appears you're severely limited in card length due to metal obstruction of the 5 1/4" drives/bays.

Bottom line is, it's going to be really difficult to find a card that will work, even if 'said card exists, it's going to be too weak to contemplate really.

Solution

And even at that those pre-build system come with PSU's that are just enough to handle the system as it comes from the manufacture and adding a GPU into the mix without upgrading the PSU could just blow the PSU out in minutes.

As for the rest of the system they are really really below spec for any modern game you really need a complete system re-build sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.