[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my PC case due to poor air circulation but I dont know what I should do

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
I have a mATX case and inside I have a GTX 1060 6gb, Ryzen 5 3600, B550 Prime MB, 16 gb DDR4, 750 Corsair PSU.... About a year ago I began monitoring my PC during gameplay which is when I began seeing temps that were uncomfortable for me despite reasurrence from the community that it was ok (80c and up for the GPU.... CPU sometimes reaches 70c).... So I decided that I should take off the side panel to alleviate the heat not being dissapated properly. Additionally I placed a desk fan pointing diagonally into the opening of the case. It has worked extremely well (72c-78c GPU. 50c-60c CPU) but the only downside is that I have a case that is exposed.... I want to upgrade the case but I also dont want to because I am not comfortable messing with the components again let alone taking them out. I want to know if its a good idea that I upgrade or if continuing what I have been doing for a year now is sufficient enough. To add to issue, I really dont have the funds to go out and get a case and potentially longer cables to ensure that the components are connected. Just want to hear opinions from the community! Thanks a bunch everyone!

Solution
That may come down to a poorly designed case without cutouts in the right places.

Generally, as long as you have some decent front intake, CPU fan pointed toward the rear, and a rear exhaust fan temperatures should stay reasonable.

If the chassis has a closed off front (common these days) there isn't a lot to do. Bottom intake, side intakes exist, but aren't as common. One of the newer styles is drawing air in from the back side of the case. The side the motherboard is mounted to.

You can also take your side panel and cut openings into it, add case fans. Or cover the cut openings with a mesh. Depends how much you like your case and what tools you have available.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As others have said, those aren't dangerous temperatures. GPU was likely throttling at the high end and isn't now. But I imagine that is a minor performance increase.

What case do you have now? What CPU cooler?

Some better fans might be an option. Replacing the case does mean moving all the hardware, so if you are not comfortable with that, not sure what advice you want to hear. If you are interested in a new case or parts you will have to mention a budget.

Cable length is generally not an issue except in extremely large cases.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Ok great! Yea so I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 and I think it does a great job cooling the cpu but man when I have the case completely closed I add about 10 degrees C to every component. I don’t remember what the name of the case is but mATX motherboards are suitable for it. Sorry for such a harshly worded reply but I am at work at the moment so kinda difficult for me to think this one through…. I am also very impatient so o “needed” to reply now. In regards to the cables, the ones I have now are kinda small which made it difficult to manage the cables well so it looks kinda messy in there… it’s not terrible but I felt like I didn’t have enough cables length to properly secure some of them to the case.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That may come down to a poorly designed case without cutouts in the right places.

Generally, as long as you have some decent front intake, CPU fan pointed toward the rear, and a rear exhaust fan temperatures should stay reasonable.

If the chassis has a closed off front (common these days) there isn't a lot to do. Bottom intake, side intakes exist, but aren't as common. One of the newer styles is drawing air in from the back side of the case. The side the motherboard is mounted to.

You can also take your side panel and cut openings into it, add case fans. Or cover the cut openings with a mesh. Depends how much you like your case and what tools you have available.

Solution