Question I want to upgrade to 32gb (4x8gb) should it always work?

ovelionnn

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
Hi! So i have Ryzen 5 5600 and a Steel Legend B450m motherboard.

Right now im running 2x8GB 3600Mhz ram.Im planning to buy additional 2x8GB because i feel like nowadays game require so much ram, especially when i want to run obs too. Also im chrome enjoyer.
I remember also one time when playing EFT that i got a blue screen with 16GB when not setting file size properly

On the motherboard website it doesn't even show that it supports above 3200mhz but it still worked because i heard this OC is small and will work mostly on every motherboard nowadays.

Now i wanna upgrade to 32GB also have 4 sticks ram 4x8GB. The website shows that this even supports less MHz then the dual one.

So pretty much i can't be sure when i buy the 2 extra sticks, that it still will work with 3600Mhz right? Also probably will be "slower" because not dual rank?

Is it really much more worth to just buy 2x16gb and then selling my 2 old sticks?

USAFRet

Titan
Adding new sticks to what you have may not work.
Or may only work partially.

RAM is sold as a set for a reason. Tested from the factory to work together.
Mixing often fails.

If at all possible, buy a set of 2x16GB (32GB total).
Sell or repurpose the ones you have.

ovelionnn

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
Ofc i will buy exact the same ram.... i bought a kit 2x8gb i will buy this kit again and run them all together. I know they have to be the same, i can't run 2 diffrent ram kits

kanewolf

Titan
Ofc i will buy exact the same ram.... i bought a kit 2x8gb i will buy this kit again and run them all together. I know they have to be the same, i can't run 2 diffrent ram kits
You have no idea what parts changes have been made under the heat spreader for something sold by the same part number.
Read what @USAFRet said -- "tested and guaranteed by the manufacturer to work as a set". Two sets are NOT tested by the manufacturer. You take responsibility to make them work as a set. Good luck.