I want to upgrade to windows 10 but not sure if I should? Sound and Graphics card Worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Howzit guys,

Everything I have seen and read about windows 10 seems really awesome but the only thing is:

1: I have an Asus Phoebus 7.1 sound card which is bran new, I want to upgrade to windows 10 but have read the a lot of guys that have this card have reported their drivers no longer working or the various apps that come with card no longer functioning correctly. Is this the case and can I expect the same thing, has anyone who has this card successfully upgraded to windows 10 without these problems and I also see on the ASUS website there is no windows 10 driver, will their be a Win 10 driver or has ASUS dropped support for this card.

2: Will graphics card drivers cause a problem as I have seen many guys having problems with their graphics card drivers malfunctioning after upgrading. I have an ASUS 980ti STRIX Edition GFX Card and the ASUS Maximus VII Formula motherboard if that helps to.

Thanks guys!

Solution

http://www.realtek.com/

Try here, download > High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)

Don't wait for Asus, Realtek sort their own software much earlier.

Edit; In case you didn't know the sound chip on your board and most boards use Realtek. Other Asus related chipset and storage drivers will be relied on Asus but Sound drivers can get directly from Realtek's website.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I experienced a lot of desktop bugs before going back to 8.1...vanishing right click menus, locked application windows. I plan to wait a while for a few updates to appear first.
I had no issues with sound or video drivers, i have an Asus STX and an Nvidia GTX780 on a z87 Motherboard.

daleheller

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I have an older P8P67 motherboard and did lose my sound. After trying a number of driver sets, I finally got 2 front speakers to work, but not the 5.1 that originally worked on 8.1 Pro.

I guess we are all waiting on ASUS drivers in some form or fashion to get MB services back.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yea i'd wait a bit, not sure how long until the free upgrade period expires if not at all.

If you're a PC gamer based, one of Windows 10 most anticipated components is DX12 and the API will bring much improvements across the board with Intel, AMD and Nvidia, it will be a huge mile stone for all mentioned,.. But it will take some time before DX12 games surface so you have quite the wait before the benefits of DX12 are here.

Imo, observe Windows 10's progression and keep your existing Windows key valid for your your current operating system if you want to use it still, as it turns out if you upgrade to Win10 and don't rollback before the trial period finishes (Think its a month) will tie your key to Win10 and wont be valid for your current os.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

http://www.realtek.com/

Try here, download > High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)

Don't wait for Asus, Realtek sort their own software much earlier.

Edit; In case you didn't know the sound chip on your board and most boards use Realtek. Other Asus related chipset and storage drivers will be relied on Asus but Sound drivers can get directly from Realtek's website.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.