[SOLVED] I want to use a 500gb m.2 ssd as my main storage but have a hard drive for random files and stuff, how do i do this?

Kishan25

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2015
Im building my first pc. It's mainly for gaming and web browsing. I don't really store huge files and will probably use like 200 gb in total. But i want to use my m.2 for mainly everything like my games and OS but have a hdd for random files like homework and stuff i will probably rarely access. I don't know much about building a pc yet so i want to know if its easy to set that up and how to do it so i'm ready when I get my stuff. Also if the hdd rarely gets used, will it make noise? I want this PC to be as quiet as possible.

Solution
Basically:
  • install the M2 and NOT the HDD
  • Clean install OS onto M2
  • boot into OS
  • shut down PC, install HDD
  • verify HDD is recognise in OS
and away you go, storage drives are in effect 'plug and play'. You just then install whatever programs you want, on whatever drive you want.

Just remember to only have 1 drive installed during the OS install otherwise you can create boot configuration problems.

HDD will make a very small amount of noise whilst being accessed, but it should usually be shrouded by any fans you have quite easily.

A failing/faulty hard drive may make clicking or grinding sounds, but again this shouldn't be the case in normal circumstances.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Basically:
  • boot into OS
and away you go, storage drives are in effect 'plug and play'. You just then install whatever programs you want, on whatever drive you want.

Just remember to only have 1 drive installed during the OS install otherwise you can create boot configuration problems.

HDD will make a very small amount of noise whilst being accessed, but it should usually be shrouded by any fans you have quite easily.

A failing/faulty hard drive may make clicking or grinding sounds, but again this shouldn't be the case in normal circumstances.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming Win 10:

For your Steam games, you can designate a folder on that HDD for them.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

For other things, just create a couple of Folders on the HDD. HomeWork, Movies, Whatever.
Your applications will give you the opportunity to save to those locations.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Kishan25

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2015
Basically:
  • boot into OS

So if I wanted to just get the m.2 for now and install a hard drive later, I can plug in the hard drive and that's it?

TRENDING THREADS