I want to wipe my SSD, but only have the upgrade ver. of win10.

Onasi32

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Ok I need help with my SSD. About a 1 1/2 years ago I migrated my win 7 to my first ssd. I know, I should have done a clean install...but I didn't. Now I want to, however, my problem is I have used my free upgrade from win7 to win10 and I don't want to lose win10 because I didn't pay for an actual copy. Is there a way to wipe my ssd and reinstall win10 without having to pay for a copy?

Solution
Hey there Onasi32.

You can use this link in order to create Win 10 installation media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Once you've done the upgrade your system's hardware is registered and you shouldn't need to activate it or anything when making the fresh install. You should be able to skip the product key step.

In order to be 100% sure about that you could confirm it with Microsoft's customer support just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there Onasi32.

You can use this link in order to create Win 10 installation media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Once you've done the upgrade your system's hardware is registered and you shouldn't need to activate it or anything when making the fresh install. You should be able to skip the product key step.

In order to be 100% sure about that you could confirm it with Microsoft's customer support just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

Onasi32

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Had a follow up thought, if the ssd drive is wiped how do I get to my MS acct. to install windows 10? I mean my boot drive is now clean. Sorry not a lot of experience with the software side of things.

Hey again, just as I and @CountMike have mentioned. Since you've already had Windows 10 installed with this system, all you need to do is follow the instructions from the link in my previous post and skip the product key entry during the installation process.

Let us know how it goes and if everything turned out fine. :)