I was considering a gaming laptop and then did a doubletake.. Are the mouse/keyboards junk?

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
The dell g15 5520 is on sale at my local microcenter for $999.99 and I almost sniped one with my income taxes. Except, I did a double take when I realized its "gaming" keyboard is probably not 1000hz. and I am almost 100% sure the mousepad isn't either. Anyone know where to find those specs. I almost feel like when they open today and I contact customer support. They wont even know the answer. I bought a $250 dollar analog razer gaming keyboard and I think going back to 125hz would break me.

D

Deleted member 14196

Who cares? Use an external keyboard of your choice. No laptop is going to come with the specs you’re looking for.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Who cares? Use an external keyboard of your choice. No laptop is going to come with the specs you’re looking for.
I'm about to back out on a laptop if it's gunna come with a cheapo keyboard. I am certain high end even the alienware isnt gunna hand you a 125hz keyboard with a gpu in it. Doesnt make sense. One you get into the external keyboard area you might as well just build a desktop.

Reactions: PEnns
D

Deleted member 14196

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Every keyboard on a laptop I’ve ever used sucks

I have never seen specifications for a keyboard in a laptop ever

You’re better off using an external keyboard and an external monitor of your choice that match your specifications

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Every keyboard on a laptop I’ve ever used sucks

I have never seen specifications for a keyboard in a laptop ever

You’re better off using an external keyboard and an external monitor of your choice that match your specifications
that would totally ruin the whole point of laptop. You want compact. ect. Alienwares polling rates on their laptops are 1milisecond. that means 1000hz. like a normal gaming keyboard. ect

D

Deleted member 14196

Then, maybe stick with Alienware. From Dell and Hewlett-Packard I don’t think you’re going to get the specifications on the keyboard that you’re looking for.

Also, gaming laptops are silly. They don’t perform as well as their desktop counterparts and heat is always a major issue.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
its a kick in the junk because companies wont advertise that it sucks. so i cant find specs for it. lol. hahah

D

Deleted member 14196

Right so just use an external keyboard that matches your specs and you’ll be happy. Everybody does it and the only time you won’t be able to use your external keyboard is when you’re traveling.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Right so just use an external keyboard that matches your specs and you’ll be happy. Everybody does it and the only time you won’t be able to use your external keyboard is when you’re traveling.
If I am working with an external mouse and keyboard I might as well add a monitor. and then I might as well buy a mid tier tower and get twice the power out of it. lol. I was going for a laptop because the form factor is cool. a gpu in a laptop is new. and the design is legit. its not slapped together like most gaming pcs these days. but, its. not the deal I want. as far as what i am currently looking at.

D

Deleted member 14196

Do you currently have a gaming laptop?

If you do, then, you know the troubles, these people face and I’m not sure why anyone who is in the hard-core gaming would want a laptop. I don’t care how cool the form factor is that doesn’t mean anything when performance is on the table

but I think your best bet is to stick with Alienware for your laptop needs if that’s the road you’re going down

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Do you currently have a gaming laptop?

If you do, then, you know the troubles, these people face and I’m not sure why anyone who is in the hard-core gaming would want a laptop. I don’t care how cool the form factor is that doesn’t mean anything when performance is on the table

but I think your best bet is to stick with Alienware for your laptop needs if that’s the road you’re going down
I have a desktop. I actually used a desktop until my college days and switched to a laptop until like 2015 when gpus really took off. Then I rebuilt and just recently saw a decent deal going on at microcenter for a dell laptop with a gpu. and was really interested in it. but its like twice as much for an alienware version with a quality gaming keyboard on it which is really quite a <Mod Edit> deal. haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never encountered an issue gaming on a laptop keyboard nor have I ever considered latency when purchasing, only typing experience. However generally a laptop is not going to have a keyboard as good as an expensive gaming keyboard like Razer's analog keyboards.

I believe the Razer Blade 15 has an optical mechanical keyboard, but you will only find such a thing on premium laptops like that, not a mid range device. unfortunately you would probably have to double your budget.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
I've never encountered an issue gaming on a laptop keyboard nor have I ever considered latency when purchasing, only typing experience. However generally a laptop is not going to have a keyboard as good as an expensive gaming keyboard like Razer's analog keyboards.

I believe the Razer Blade 15 has an optical mechanical keyboard, but you will only find such a thing on premium laptops like that, not a mid range device. unfortunately you would probably have to double your budget.
i contacted microcenter and they confirmed its a base model cheapo like the 10 dollar ones that come with non gaming computers. I would basically have to bring a keyboard with me wherever I went and played on it all wonky with them stacked ontop of each other because im spoiled and know the difference between a good one and cheap ones. Its not that its THAT MUCH better. but when your mouse is 1000hz and your keyboard is not its like holding a plastic knife to a metal fork. or whatever.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
There is no reason you can't treat your gaming laptop as a desktop, if you want.
You can have a gaming laptop and just have it closed up sitting on the desk and hook it to a decent keyboard, mouse, a nice big gaming monitor and a set of speakers. It'll work just like a desktop, only you'll have the option to disconnect everything and blammo you have a portable laptop.

Or you can just build yourself a nice desktop.
The question really is, do you want/need portability?
If portability is a selling point for you, then get a gaming laptop.
If your "gaming laptop" will sit eternally on a desk, then build a regular computer.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
There is no reason you can't treat your gaming laptop as a desktop, if you want.
You can have a gaming laptop and just have it closed up sitting on the desk and hook it to a decent keyboard, mouse, a nice big gaming monitor and a set of speakers. It'll work just like a desktop, only you'll have the option to disconnect everything and blammo you have a portable laptop.

Or you can just build yourself a nice desktop.
The question really is, do you want/need portability?
If portability is a selling point for you, then get a gaming laptop.
If your "gaming laptop" will sit eternally on a desk, then build a regular computer.
exactly what I am saying. It would be cheaper at the point to where if you had to buy a gaming laptop peripherals to get gaming stature out of them. lol. build a desktop and get more power out of the same parts that are known to be in desktops than laptops. doesnt make much sense to me they are even making laptops with gpus in them for gaming and shipping them with junk peripherals attached. It's a cheap upsell to get you to wind up with exactly that. a laptop you have to use as a desktop. lol. I dont mind it. and I guess yes you could go ahead and say well now its a desktop you can carry around with you if you wanted. But, still I wouldn't want elsewise. I am wondering if all brands even the alienware brand and razer are shipping with junk peripherals as the selling point of well yes. its for gaming but if you want to game. buy buy buy.. ect. lol.

i contacted microcenter and they confirmed its a base model cheapo like the 10 dollar ones that come with non gaming computers. I would basically have to bring a keyboard with me wherever I went and played on it all wonky with them stacked ontop of each other because im spoiled and know the difference between a good one and cheap ones. Its not that its THAT MUCH better. but when your mouse is 1000hz and your keyboard is not its like holding a plastic knife to a metal fork. or whatever.
Most laptops I have used had a better keyboard than those cheap $10 ones, but your not going to get what you want with the laptop in question.

The fact your using an analog optical keyboard that most gamers wouldn't need makes you a premium gamer. To get those sorts of features you need the premium laptop.

This article is a little old but I believe the current Razer Blade Advanced models still use the same keyboard but with some tweaks to keycap size and layout:

Last edited:

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Most laptops I have used had a better keyboard than those cheap $10 ones, but your not going to get what you want with the laptop in question.

The fact your using an analog optical keyboard that most gamers wouldn't need makes you a premium gamer. To get those sorts of features you need the premium laptop.

This article is a little old but I believe the current Razer Blade Advanced models still use the same keyboard but with some tweaks to keycap size and layout:
yeh, I spent like $250 on an analog keyboard that works like a joystick to play halo infinite with a mouse and keyboard. and they ended up writing the walk into the code of the game. and it doesnt quite work well anyway because the game glitches thinking your trying to use a controller and mouse at the same time anyway. its a cool feature but its generic and not written into even halo.a game that has razer skins on the armor if you download ha

yeh, I spent like $250 on an analog keyboard that works like a joystick to play halo infinite with a mouse and keyboard. and they ended up writing the walk into the code of the game. and it doesnt quite work well anyway because the game glitches thinking your trying to use a controller and mouse at the same time anyway. its a cool feature but its generic and not written into even halo.a game that has razer skins on the armor if you download ha
They sound pretty cool but I've never used one before. I do use a Razer mechanical keyboard myself though.

Reactions: nelska