[SOLVED] I was thinking of getting this pc from cyberpower and people in discord build a pc laughed at it.

Nov 10, 2020
Is it really a bad deal for the price?

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-M-Elite-300

I am looking to spend 1300-1400 on a computer and my parents really want me to go with a prebuilt due to me not having experience in making a pc.

Onetime I bought a custom pc and accidentally made it with out a operating system so they are worried about me ending up doing that again.

Also I bought a 960 evo 1tb when it came out with the idea of building a pc but never got help from my cousin and brother to help me pick parts like they said they would.

My parents are just worried I will spend more money on parts and not use them like with the ssd.

I would like to use the ssd even tho it is old and not the latest model since i have it.

I dont know how to post a screenshot here sorry the ssd screenshot.

Reactions: ILi0vski
Solution
Good luck getting your hands on any 3070 for anywhere close to MSRP. You might be forced to get something last gen and loose performance.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | $369.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Asus PRIME Z490-P ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $154.19 @ Amazon
Memory | Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage | ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Seagate Barracuda Compute...
Nov 10, 2020
I was wanting to play the high end games like red dead redemption 2 and other AAA games and apex legends. I'm wanting to play new games. Ive been stuck not playing new games since my computer got old and now it is overheating and like 8 years old.

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
I don't support prebuilt computers mostly because the psu,ssd and some things like that they put in..
But if you built a pc before or you think you can build it by yourself i made a configuration with very good components for around 1200$
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rzDfvf
Plus you can overclock the cpu and the gpu for extra performance,and this case has very good airflow.

Reactions: Pullarius

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For ~$1,400 you're getting a 10700K + 2060 Super? Doesn't seem like a very good deal.

As a happy medium between an outright pre-built vs building your own, the likely of NewEgg (and others) typically offer a build service for ~$150. Let's you pick the parts you want, based on recommendations.... and have it assembled for you.

What kind of timeline are you looking at? With Ryzen 5000 series and RTX 3000 being in short supply, you'd likely benefit from waiting a little bit for supply to pick up....

To give you an idea of what's (just about) doable - and you'd connect your current SSD for mass storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($148.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($499.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1335.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 09:35 EST-0500

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
For ~$1,400 you're getting a 10700K + 2060 Super? Doesn't seem like a very good deal.

As a happy medium between an outright pre-built vs building your own, the likely of NewEgg (and others) typically offer a build service for ~$150. Let's you pick the parts you want, based on recommendations.... and have it assembled for you.

What kind of timeline are you looking at? With Ryzen 5000 series and RTX 3000 being in short supply, you'd likely benefit from waiting a little bit for supply to pick up....

To give you an idea of what's (just about) doable - and you'd connect your current SSD for mass storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($148.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($499.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1335.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 09:35 EST-0500
I think its over his budget but ok

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Before buying a Cyberpower I recommend looking up COMPANY based reviews on them and in particular where it comes to warranty management. They rate VERY LOW in after sales support and it seems to be a very common topic for them online among a vast group of people.

Straight off it appears that the case will have airflow issue and likely be hot for your components. The balance of a not OC CPU and a medium grade GPU are likely all the case can handle from a cooling aspect.

Based on what you are looking at, your inexperience, the 'rents wishes....I would likely continue down the prebuilt path, consider something from a reputable BBS or the like that is local to you. Ideally, if you have a MicroCenter anywhere nearby they will build whatever you wish to purchase from them. Their pricing structure is a little strange and get's high if you want all the bells and whistles. Just the same you get to select your own parts based on their merit rather than what get's stuffed in the case to maximize profits for the pre-builders.

Good luck getting your hands on any 3070 for anywhere close to MSRP. You might be forced to get something last gen and loose performance.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $49.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage | ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $54.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | PNY GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Dual Video Card | $409.94 @ Office Depot
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ATX Mid Tower Case | $53.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply | $74.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1318.05
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| Total | $1283.05
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 10:24 EST-0500 |

This is close to the CyberPower but better in several ways. The cyperpower isnt a bad deal, but not good. Also 1 year warranty is pathetic.

If you build it your own you have lifetime warranty on ram and warranties much longer than 1 year on most other parts.

Solution
Nov 10, 2020
Before buying a Cyberpower I recommend looking up COMPANY based reviews on them and in particular where it comes to warranty management. They rate VERY LOW in after sales support and it seems to be a very common topic for them online among a vast group of people.

Straight off it appears that the case will have airflow issue and likely be hot for your components. The balance of a not OC CPU and a medium grade GPU are likely all the case can handle from a cooling aspect.

Based on what you are looking at, your inexperience, the 'rents wishes....I would likely continue down the prebuilt path, consider something from a reputable BBS or the like that is local to you. Ideally, if you have a MicroCenter anywhere nearby they will build whatever you wish to purchase from them. Their pricing structure is a little strange and get's high if you want all the bells and whistles. Just the same you get to select your own parts based on their merit rather than what get's stuffed in the case to maximize profits for the pre-builders.
Is a 2 hour drive to the houston location worth it for microcenter?

Nov 10, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Storage | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $54.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | PNY GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Dual Video Card | $409.94 @ Office Depot
Power Supply | Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply | $74.99 @ Newegg
| Total | $1283.05

This is close to the CyberPower but better in several ways. The cyperpower isnt a bad deal, but not good. Also 1 year warranty is pathetic.

If you build it your own you have lifetime warranty on ram and warranties much longer than 1 year on most other parts.
How long untill the price stabilise and would it be worth it to wait for it?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Is a 2 hour drive to the houston location worth it for microcenter?

I would say 'maybe'.

There are two locations local to me and both of them are an hour away if traffic is perfect, and more often are about 1.5 hours one way. I always try to time going there with something else that needs done on that side of town.
Just the same, Microcenter already offers pricing that is cheaper sans shipping by a few bucks or more. They do a discount for bundled CPU/Mobo for $20-30 as well, often have in store deals that aren't even advertised and if you don't mind often have screaming deals on open box or display items.

My thoughts would be that IF you have a car that gets good gas mileage AND have reason to be over there it's totally worth walking in the door with money in hand. You can shop online and have them make a cart to pick up...but you can miss out on some of the in store stuff that way.
As a side note here, given that distance...if you opt to have them build it will likely cut into budget/value in going that far.

Reactions: Pullarius
Nov 10, 2020
I feel like my budget is not able to do what I want gaming wise and that it would be better to wait tell I move out and can splurge on a computer.

I just don't currently have a pc mine is overheating and restarting untill it gets messed up and has to safely restart.

Reactions: ILi0vski

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Good thing your on a forum with computer geeks who like to help people. Overheating issues are typically very simple to sort out. I give you a very quick list of common causes.
  1. Dust, get some compress air and hit that thing EVERYWHERE and make it spotless. Doing it outside or in a garage is a good idea if you haven't done this before.
  2. Check CPU heatsink is seated correctly.
  3. At 8 years old that thermal paste is probably dried, replace it.
  4. Check to see if fan are working.
If this doesn't work check back with us and we help you sort it out, at the bare minimum it helps familiarize you with computers if you don't feel comfortable taking them apart and diagnosing problems before you build one.

Just want to emphasize prebuilts are not the way to go for gaming builds. On top of over paying (they have to make money to stay in business after all while being competitive) they will typically skimp on the PSU quality with is a very bad thing which can take out several other parts when that bites the dust. As well as cutting corners everywhere else they can to hit a price point. Cyberpower is a company where I would only buy from them if I got a very steep discount and that would be to just salvage parts from it. I trust them less than Dell who screwed me over in distant past (Intel P4 days) by using a cheap solder in their laptop motherboard that the CPU would heat up so much it would de-solder the port where you plugged in the power cable so I went through I think 4+ motherboards under warranty. HP desktop my mother bought a few years ago was designed to fail is the only way I can describe it, the motherboard and tower layout is non standard with the only fan being the CPU fan and it would heat up to 80+ Celsius if you did anything slightly more than browse the internet and I stopped stress testing it after a few minutes as the temps were still climbing to levels I wasn't comfortable with, wish I had a picture of it but she lives several states away now. It was a beautiful feat of engineering in a sort of sick sadistic way.

If you don't want to drive to a Microcenter and want someone else to build it, check out some other computer stores. When I used to live in California I would visit Computer Central they would have computers they built in house with quality parts and charge a small fee over what the parts cost themselves. They would also build them for a fee if you picked out the parts, I sent my grandpa a part list to buy online for me to build him a PC but he couldn't get it working but managed to print the list out so I sent him there and they helped him pick out the same or similar parts so I could build him his PC. This is pretty typical for the services most PC shops I've been to offer but you may want to call and check with them first.

Nov 10, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
| Total | $1283.05

What fps would that build get in 1080p and 1440p? In games like red dead redemption 2 and apex legends and other shooters?

And is it hard to overclock it?