[SOLVED] I WAS TRYING TO OVERCLOCK AND NOW MY PC SAYS IT NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED...

Jun 17, 2020
So basically, here’s the long story... I’m not sure what’s wrong with my pc but I build it about a year ago and it always was no smooth ride. I’d play a game and it’d crash, but later came to find out it was due to msi afterburner’s overclock. LATER on I came to realize that it was ok to overclock but the issue I was blind to, was that my card, the RX 590 had terrible heating and the games/my pc were crashing to to overheating. So basically I now keep the settings stock and added a fan curve on my card with msi afterburner because the fan almost never turns on when playing games. Months after, my pc started getting a bunch of blue screen of deaths with different errors everytime. I tried every solution and it kept happening. I opened my pc and removed and reinserted my ram sticks and it the blue man screen of deaths stopped since then. Previously, while trying to find a solution for the blue screen of death, I had overclocked my ram to the speed as advertised (3200), and my Ryzen 2700 to 3800mhz 1.28 volts with the stock fan (I know nothing about overclocking but this seemed to work). A solution I tried was to simply dial down the overclocks and after exiting the bios, my pc shut down and opened and shut down again for three times then booted up. I didn’t think anything of it and resumed to do what I did on my computer... which leads to today. I’ve came to the realization that the reason I have tremendously lower fps in games, is because my system was reset to stock. I checked my computer properties, and saw that my cpu was running at 3.2mhz and another program told my my ram was running at a speed near 2133. I checked my bios and surely enough, the system was running at the stock/default settings. I clicked into the oc section of my AsRock Steel Legend B450 bios and there were my oc settings. I tried to exit and boot with the oc settings and the same thing that happened months ago happened again... my pc turned off and on and off and on three times until it booted up into windows 10 with stock settings (3.2mhz and ram at 2133hz). I was frustrated, never having this issue in the past, and tried to restart my computer and access the bios to overclock again. That’s when the issue occurred... After leaving the cpu oc alone and at stock and only overclocking the ram to 3000mhz, under the advertised speed, it did its thing... shut off and on 3 times until finally showing me a blue screen. Windows recovery... it said something similar to “Your pc/device needs to be repaired” and it gave my a file that was supposedly corrupted. I’m scared because it was a system 32 file. Anyways, that is the whole story and I’m considering selling my pc for parts and building a new pc unless someone has the answers to my life problems...

SPECS:
cpu: AMD Ryzen 2700
gpu: Sapphire RX 590
mobo: AsRock Steel Legend B450
ram: G.Skill RipJaws 2x8gb 3200mhz
psu: EVGA 600 GD
storage: 512 ssd / 2tb hd

there might be some gramatical/spelling mistakes but oh whale

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
I’m just scared of losing all my files so I haven’t tried that yet. Also, if I bought a windows key online to initially activate windows, after installing a fresh version of windows, would I have to buy a new key or could I use the same key?
Thank you!!

You wont lose the windows that you have already installed if you have linked it with your Microsoft account. after reinstall just login to you account and it will activate. And yes you can use the same key incase you have to buy it. As for the files whatever was in your ssd will be lost if you reinstall windows. But you wont lose anything thats on the 2TB HDD

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
So basically, here’s the long story... I’m not sure what’s wrong with my pc but I build it about a year ago and it always was no smooth ride. I’d play a game and it’d crash, but later came to find out it was due to msi afterburner’s overclock. LATER on I came to realize that it was ok to overclock but the issue I was blind to, was that my card, the RX 590 had terrible heating and the games/my pc were crashing to to overheating. So basically I now keep the settings stock and added a fan curve on my card with msi afterburner because the fan almost never turns on when playing games. Months after, my pc started getting a bunch of blue screen of deaths with different errors everytime. I tried every solution and it kept happening. I opened my pc and removed and reinserted my ram sticks and it the blue man screen of deaths stopped since then. Previously, while trying to find a solution for the blue screen of death, I had overclocked my ram to the speed as advertised (3200), and my Ryzen 2700 to 3800mhz 1.28 volts with the stock fan (I know nothing about overclocking but this seemed to work). A solution I tried was to simply dial down the overclocks and after exiting the bios, my pc shut down and opened and shut down again for three times then booted up. I didn’t think anything of it and resumed to do what I did on my computer... which leads to today. I’ve came to the realization that the reason I have tremendously lower fps in games, is because my system was reset to stock. I checked my computer properties, and saw that my cpu was running at 3.2mhz and another program told my my ram was running at a speed near 2133. I checked my bios and surely enough, the system was running at the stock/default settings. I clicked into the oc section of my AsRock Steel Legend B450 bios and there were my oc settings. I tried to exit and boot with the oc settings and the same thing that happened months ago happened again... my pc turned off and on and off and on three times until it booted up into windows 10 with stock settings (3.2mhz and ram at 2133hz). I was frustrated, never having this issue in the past, and tried to restart my computer and access the bios to overclock again. That’s when the issue occurred... After leaving the cpu oc alone and at stock and only overclocking the ram to 3000mhz, under the advertised speed, it did its thing... shut off and on 3 times until finally showing me a blue screen. Windows recovery... it said something similar to “Your pc/device needs to be repaired” and it gave my a file that was supposedly corrupted. I’m scared because it was a system 32 file. Anyways, that is the whole story and I’m considering selling my pc for parts and building a new pc unless someone has the answers to my life problems...

SPECS:
cpu: AMD Ryzen 2700
gpu: Sapphire RX 590
mobo: AsRock Steel Legend B450
ram: G.Skill RipJaws 2x8gb 3200mhz
psu: EVGA 600 GD
storage: 512 ssd / 2tb hd

there might be some gramatical/spelling mistakes but oh whale

Any help is appreciated!

Could it be a corrupted windows? Why dont you try installing a fresh version of windows 10 and see if it will boot up. Also clear CMOS to put back everything to default settings

Jun 17, 2020
Could it be a corrupted windows? Why dont you try installing a fresh version of windows 10 and see if it will boot up.
I’m just scared of losing all my files so I haven’t tried that yet. Also, if I bought a windows key online to initially activate windows, after installing a fresh version of windows, would I have to buy a new key or could I use the same key?
Thank you!!

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Thank you!!

You wont lose the windows that you have already installed if you have linked it with your Microsoft account. after reinstall just login to you account and it will activate. And yes you can use the same key incase you have to buy it. As for the files whatever was in your ssd will be lost if you reinstall windows. But you wont lose anything thats on the 2TB HDD

Solution
Jun 17, 2020
Seems as if that is the only viable solution at this moment. I’ll try it out and get back to the thread.
thanks so much!