[SOLVED] I was using a screwdriver to push down the PCIe slot lever to get my graphics card out. My hand slipped and the screwdriver hit the motherboard.

Solution
In which slots are the RAM sticks installed? recommended: Dimm slot A2 and B2

reset the BIOS by using the clrCMOS / CLRTC jumper pins of the board. Shorten the pins with something conducting. Power has to be unplugged from the wall while doing so.

try flashing the BIOS by the flashback feature of the motherboard

which graphics card are you using?

remove the HDDs/SSDs, maybe you can get into BIOS after that

does the keyboard work on another system?

try the 2nd PCIe x16 slot with the graphics card

which power supply are you using? all connectors are plugged in?

The front panel is plugged in correctly?

Any RGB or other devices plugged into the board?

Ralston18

Titan
Image is not that clear to me - did the screwdriver hit where I see sort of a brown oval? Upper half being "brown", lower half "black"?

Does look like damage to me.

However, there may be other less visible damage: cracked trace, broken resistor, loosened component, etc...

I can't really see damage either. But if in doubt just turning it on and operating it isn't likely to harm it any further even if it slightly damaged. That will be the proof.

But for future forays inside the computer, it might be a good idea to have a plastic spudging tool on hand to do that kind of stuff. Take your choice. Much lighter so not going to damage anything even when dropped square on the board, and with the ends just a bit rounded smooth it's also much safer when things slip.

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Image is not that clear to me - did the screwdriver hit where I see sort of a brown oval? Upper half being "brown", lower half "black"?

Does look like damage to me.

However, there may be other less visible damage: cracked trace, broken resistor, loosened component, etc...

Since it was a new build, I hadn't actually hooked it up to a display yet. I just did, and the system is getting stuck on the motherboard screen.

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
if no component was hurt, it shouldn´t be a problem

but couldn´t see anything on your picture. To be sure, you will have to look with a magnifying glass or similar.

which motherboard is it by the way?

It's the ASUS X570-p with a 3600. After hooking up the display, the system is getting stuck on the motherboard screen. I'm not sure what to do now.

It's the ASUS X570-p with a 3600. After hooking up the display, the system is getting stuck on the motherboard screen. I'm not sure what to do now.
What do you mean by 'motherboard screen'? Is it going straight into BIOS?

Can you look through to see if it's identifying attached drives? Is your system drive an NVME drive? Can you move it to a different M.2 socket?

Have you even installed an OS yet?

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
What do you mean by 'motherboard screen'? Is it going straight into BIOS?

Can you look through to see if it's identifying attached drives? Is your system drive an NVME drive? Can you move it to a different M.2 socket?

Have you even installed an OS yet?

When I say motherboard screen, I mean the initial screen where it displays "ASUS" and then tells me to press F2 or DEL to enter into the BIOS. I can't tell if drives are being recognized, or anything. I haven't installed an OS yet, as I can't even get into BIOS.

When I say motherboard screen, I mean the initial screen where it displays "ASUS" and then tells me to press F2 or DEL to enter into the BIOS. I can't tell if drives are being recognized, or anything. I haven't installed an OS yet, as I can't even get into BIOS.
can you press DEL to enter BIOS?

connect your keyboard to the USB port on the back panel.

It's also a good idea to reset BIOS, even if not with a battery pull just short the pins with power off for a few minutes.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What about "did the screwdriver hit where I see sort of a brown oval? Upper half being "brown", lower half "black"? And after looking again with "two little eyes looking to their left" just above the "mouth".

Is that a gouge created by the screwdriver?

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
What about "did the screwdriver hit where I see sort of a brown oval? Upper half being "brown", lower half "black"? And after looking again with "two little eyes looking to their left" just above the "mouth".

Is that a gouge created by the screwdriver?

After looking at pictures online and looking at the rest of my motherboard, it's not a gouge. Theres another one above it thats being blocked by the CPU cooler. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it's suppose to be there.

I can't enter the BIOS no matter what I press. I just took out the battery and put it back in, no luck.
move the keyboard around to different USB ports. one other thing to try is a PS2 keyboard, if you happen to have one.

ADDed...

oh yes...and does that motherboard have diagnostic lights anywhere? do any of them stay lit when it halts at the logo screen?

Do you have a tiny speaker you can attach to the speaker terminals? it will sound out beep codes if it's detecting troubles.

Last edited:

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
move the keyboard around to different USB ports. one other thing to try is a PS2 keyboard, if you happen to have one.

ADDed...

oh yes...and does that motherboard have diagnostic lights anywhere? do any of them stay lit when it halts at the logo screen?

Do you have a tiny speaker you can attach to the speaker terminals? it will sound out beep codes if it's detecting troubles.

No diagnostic lights. I plugged in a motherboard speaker, all I got is 1 short beep, which according to the ASUS manual, is just indicating that VGA is detected, quick boot is disabled, no keyboard detected. I got no other error codes, and I am still frozen on the splash screen.

I'm guessing I'll have to disassemble and RMA my motherboard.

reset the BIOS by using the clrCMOS / CLRTC jumper pins of the board. Shorten the pins with something conducting. Power has to be unplugged from the wall while doing so.

Solution

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017

Alright, I reset the CMOS, used the second PCIe slot, removed my M.2 SSD, and I got past the splash screen and into the BIOS. Success.

I then proceeded to turn off the PC, put the M.2 back in, and it froze on the splash screen again. It seems the problem is with the SSD. I tried the second M.2 slot as well, and nothing. I removed the drive one more time all together just to be sure, and once again I got past the splash screen and into the BIOS.

I took the M.2 and put it into my old system, that I know for a fact is 100% functional. I booted up the system and got the American Megatrends error screen, telling me I had to press F1 to run setup. I pressed F1 and it just took me to BIOS. There, I found my drive listed, so my BIOS is reading my M.2 SSD.

So is the problem in the drive or in the M.2 slots of my new motherboard? I guess I could go into Windows on my old system and see if I can format the M.2 drive and use it normally, just to make sure its 100% functional.

So is the problem in the drive or in the M.2 slots of my new motherboard? I guess I could go into Windows on my old system and see if I can format the M.2 drive and use it normally, just to make sure its 100% functional.
That's a tough predicament. You'll have to buy another brand M.2 to test your new motherboard to be sure about it, but that does seem kind of crazy when you're pretty confident you have a good one (at least so far as BIOS recognizing it, which is enough for me) now. One other thing to note is the screwdriver hit right in the area of circuitry that could support the M.2 socket(s). Just because we can't see obvious damage doesn't mean it didn't dislodge a critical component or solder joint.

I'd strongly consider RMA'g the motherboard.