[SOLVED] I was wondering if 2666 MHz ram would work in my 2400 MHz motherboard

Jun 13, 2020
i have a B250M PRO-VD motherboard and i wanted to upgrade my pc. My friend has CORSAIR 16GB 2X8GB 2666MHZ DDR4 VENGEANCE LPX BLACK and i was wondering if it would work with my motherboard (CPU: INTEL CORE I3-7100 )

Solution
Due to the processor the max frequency the rams will go on, while on that motherbaord will be 2400MHz. Also stated in the board's specs page. SO even if you dropped in DDR4-3200MHz ram kits/sticks, you're only going to have them run at DDR4-2400MHz.

So in a nutshell, you can drop any DDR4 rams in the board's ram slots but they will go to DDR4-2400MHz as the highest clocks. Might also want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherbaord prior to getting the rams upgraded.

Lutfij

Titan
Due to the processor the max frequency the rams will go on, while on that motherbaord will be 2400MHz. Also stated in the board's specs page. SO even if you dropped in DDR4-3200MHz ram kits/sticks, you're only going to have them run at DDR4-2400MHz.

So in a nutshell, you can drop any DDR4 rams in the board's ram slots but they will go to DDR4-2400MHz as the highest clocks. Might also want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherbaord prior to getting the rams upgraded.

Solution
Jun 13, 2020

Ok thanks, so i will just get bottlenecked but my computer will be fine.

Reactions: serioussamik17

TRENDING THREADS