[SOLVED] I was wondering if I could replace my motherboard on my hp omen 870-224?

Solution
Retail boxed motherboards don't use the HP front panel connector. You wil need to remove the wires from the connector if you use the HP case.

The HP case will probably have poor cooling, which would be the main reason to use a different bare PC case.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Does your PSU use standard motherboard power connectors?
Also what exact model PSU does it have?
Worst case scenario is that you will need a new motherboard, PSU, CPU and RAM.
Please answer my questions posted above and take some pictures of your PC internals, so we can see if it will allow you to upgrade with standard PC parts.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
If you're upgrading the motherboard, then you're also changing the CPU and RAM.

And if you're going to do all that, might as well get a new case, not limited to what will work with that HP.
Do you know exactly what motherboards might work in my case? I’m not really trying to get a new case

Aug 2, 2019
Does your PSU use standard motherboard power connectors?
Also what exact model PSU does it have?
Worst case scenario is that you will need a new motherboard, PSU, CPU and RAM.
Please answer my questions posted above and take some pictures of your PC internals, so we can see if it will allow you to upgrade with standard PC parts.
I have a Corsair 850 watt power supply that I put in it

Aug 2, 2019
That tells me that you should have no issues using a B450 mATX motherboard in your case.
So you just need to decide how much you want to spend and what you want it to do?
Are you looking for a mid level 1080p gaming rig?
And what is your budget?
Just as a reference your PC specs are listed here:
https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c05389962
I already purchased a ryzen 7 2700x yesterday,so all I need is a motherboard

Retail boxed motherboards don't use the HP front panel connector. You wil need to remove the wires from the connector if you use the HP case.

The HP case will probably have poor cooling, which would be the main reason to use a different bare PC case.

Solution