[SOLVED] I was wondering what to overclock my cpu to?

May 23, 2020
Was wondering if anyone could help me.Wondering if I can overclock my i9 9900k on a Prime Z390-a mobo. And if I can if you could help me with overclocking it?

Last edited:
Solution
While a manual overclock can have it's benefits with the right motherboard and MCE the boost clocks on the i9 can reach 4.9 ghz. Which is really good. But your psu and cooling are going to be key.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Easy answer. Enable MCE. If the pc can handle it, if you have the power and cooling to be able to pull THAT setting off with no problems, you can OC.

If MCE puts you beyond reasonable limits, you are far better off just enjoying one of the most powerful mainstream cpus as it is at Intel stock settings.

May 23, 2020
What kind of cooling solution do you have ? What voltage does your psu have ? What are your current sitting temperatures for your CPU at rest and at stress ?
I have the H100i for cpu cooling. My PSU is 850 watts. For sitting Temps would be around 100 F and when stressed it was about I think never higher than 150 F

May 23, 2020
Easy answer. Enable MCE. If the pc can handle it, if you have the power and cooling to be able to pull THAT setting off with no problems, you can OC.

If MCE puts you beyond reasonable limits, you are far better off just enjoying one of the most powerful mainstream cpus as it is at Intel stock settings.
I honestly don't know what MCE is could you please explain more about what it is and how to enable it

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
While a manual overclock can have it's benefits with the right motherboard and MCE the boost clocks on the i9 can reach 4.9 ghz. Which is really good. But your psu and cooling are going to be key.

Last edited:
Solution
May 23, 2020
Apparently my CPU was already being boosted I changed from 3.5GHz up to around 4.5GHz I just never noticed it. My temps seem to be fine idling like 98F and when playing GTA 5 seems to be around 140F.