[SOLVED] I was wondering what upgrades would significantly improve the performance of my gaming pc ?

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
specifications of my parts:

GPU: evga gtx Nvidia 950 sc
CPU: amd ryzen 3 1200
RAM:4x2 corsair vengeance
HD:1tb western digital
SSD:250gb Samsung evo
Mobo:ab350m

budget= around £250
ask me any questions about the parts, I'm open to answering them.

Solution
"Significantly" is subjective.

A Ryzen3 can pair well with much stronger GPUs than a 950, so that's the obvious place to start.

What PSU do you have?

What RAM do you have? What speed?

What resolution do you play at?

However, it's worth monitoring your utilization - CPU, GPU and RAM in whatever games you play. Chances are, with that hardware, something will be maxing out at 100% usage at least some of the time.

I'd suspect, after checking that, the GPU will still be the place to look. At ~250quid, you have options. 1660TI, RX580/590 etc...
For the money, I'd think a GPU upgrade, and RAM upgrade would be a solid way to go..... but I'd only go that route if the CPU is on your "to do" list.

PCPartPicker Part List...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

A Ryzen3 can pair well with much stronger GPUs than a 950, so that's the obvious place to start.

What PSU do you have?

However, it's worth monitoring your utilization - CPU, GPU and RAM in whatever games you play. Chances are, with that hardware, something will be maxing out at 100% usage at least some of the time.

I'd suspect, after checking that, the GPU will still be the place to look. At ~250quid, you have options. 1660TI, RX580/590 etc...
For the money, I'd think a GPU upgrade, and RAM upgrade would be a solid way to go..... but I'd only go that route if the CPU is on your "to do" list.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£62.91 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card (£159.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £221.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-29 23:19 BST+0100

Reactions: OrdJk
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had a Ryzen 1200 paired with a GTX 1080 for a short time while I was saving for the new CPU. It gamed quite well on most of my titles. I agree with the above in that I would suggest going with the best GPU you can find for the money, and I wouldn't discount used if decent parts are available local or with good support like a guarantee.

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019

What PSU do you have?

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£62.91 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card (£159.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £221.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-29 23:19 BST+0100
I was thinking on buying either a rx 580 or ryzen 5 2600

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was thinking on buying either a rx 580 or ryzen 5 2600

In reply to that I would ask what your future upgrade path looks like?
If you are in a position to make enough free cash at regular intervals I would suggest something along the line of either the 26/3600 now and then a better GPU a bit later.
If this is all the cash you will have for a while, do the 580 or a 590/1660ti.