When I bought my computer, HP Pavilion xt938. It came with everything
on board; sound, video, network card. I replaced everything except
video. Since I didn't have to many expansion slots they are full. I'm
also running four usb devices. I don't really know how much power my
power supply puts out but would I benefit from a bigger one?

Thanks
Mike

Not knowing the rating of your current one (look at it physically) it's hard to honestly answer that question.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Carl Frisk wrote:
> Not knowing the rating of your current one (look at it physically) it's
> hard to honestly answer that question.

I opened the case and while not seeing a specific power rating I copied
down the part number. Looking that up I came up with these specs.

PS-HP-PAVILION SPECIFICATIONS:
Dimensions 4.9 W x 2.5 H x 3.9 D - Inches
125 W x 64 H x 100 D - Millimeters

AC Input 115/230, 6A/3A, 47Hz-63Hz
Max Load +3.3@16.7A / +5@16A / -5V@NA / +12@10A / -12@0.3A / +5vsb@2A
MTBF >100K hrs at 25°C ambient conditions
Safety UL, CSA, TUV, NEMKO, CB, CE

I did see a reference to 200 W on the page but I could have been talking
about something else.

Hope this helps my question.
Mike

Well if I remember correctly Power = Voltage * Current i.e. P=VI
Power supplies typically deliver 3,5 and 12 Volts to your system.
3V & 5V for digital components.
12V for things like hard disk motors etc.

3.3V * 15.7A = 55.11 Watts.
5V * 16A = 80 Watts.
12V * 10A = 120 Watts.
TOTAL: 255.11 Watts.
or
A 250 Watt power supply.

Yes that's low! Especially since you've added all those peripherals. And any added USB ports without their own power
supply are drawing from that also.

5vsb (standby to allow your switch to turn the computer back on) * 2A = 10 Watts.
(-12)V * .3A = 3.6 Watts. I believe this is drawn on a different phase so is not added into the above mix same as the
standby power.
--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"mike wheelock" <wheels2@twmi.rr.com> wrote in message news:noq1e.17775$rL3.10744@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> Carl Frisk wrote:
>> Not knowing the rating of your current one (look at it physically) it's hard to honestly answer that question.
>>

> I opened the case and while not seeing a specific power rating I copied down the part number. Looking that up I came
> up with these specs.
>
> PS-HP-PAVILION SPECIFICATIONS:
> Dimensions 4.9 W x 2.5 H x 3.9 D - Inches
> 125 W x 64 H x 100 D - Millimeters
>
> AC Input 115/230, 6A/3A, 47Hz-63Hz
> Max Load +3.3@16.7A / +5@16A / -5V@NA / +12@10A / -12@0.3A / +5vsb@2A
> MTBF >100K hrs at 25°C ambient conditions
> Safety UL, CSA, TUV, NEMKO, CB, CE
>

> I did see a reference to 200 W on the page but I could have been talking about something else.
>
> Hope this helps my question.
> Mike

Thanks that could account for my many lockups.
Mike

Carl Frisk wrote:
> Well if I remember correctly Power = Voltage * Current i.e. P=VI
> Power supplies typically deliver 3,5 and 12 Volts to your system.
> 3V & 5V for digital components.
> 12V for things like hard disk motors etc.
>
> 3.3V * 15.7A = 55.11 Watts.
> 5V * 16A = 80 Watts.
> 12V * 10A = 120 Watts.
> TOTAL: 255.11 Watts.
> or
> A 250 Watt power supply.
>
> Yes that's low! Especially since you've added all those peripherals.
> And any added USB ports without their own power supply are drawing from
> that also.
>
> 5vsb (standby to allow your switch to turn the computer back on) * 2A =
> 10 Watts.
> (-12)V * .3A = 3.6 Watts. I believe this is drawn on a different phase
> so is not added into the above mix same as the standby power.

dallas

"mike wheelock"
> Thanks that could account for my many lockups.

Ah, you didn't say lockups... Yup... that'll do it.

To add to the confusion most power supply manufacturing companies lie like
crazy about their ratings. Toms Hardware did a piece testing power supplies
actual wattage versus the marketing department's rating on the label. Some
of the big name manufactures told the truth, the rest didn't. Advice:
Overbuy the rating

The bad news: Mass market computers often have proprietary power supplies
and connectors. Keep your fingers crossed you don't.

Dallas