Question I watch movies & surf only, I don"t game, what kind of computer do i buy?

Feb 21, 2020
I want to buy a desktop. I prefer using my 75 inch UHD Smart TV as my monitor which is connected to my older laptop via HDMI with a wireless keyboard and mouse atm. I only stream movies from the usual places and like watching Youtube. I have a HDD full of movies I also like playing from as well. My HDD movies are mostly 1080p and look great on my TV but I'm noticing playback issues through the laptop.

It must support 1080p movies and 4K Youtube and play them super SMOOTH without strobing or jittering and continue to use my 75 inch TV.

I will not be using it for gaming btw. What would be the minimum requirements to perform the above details so I get what I want but don't over build or over buy and what would an experienced builder/tech create specifically to meet my needs so I get best value, performance and quality?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Last edited:

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums! To be honest with you, if you are only using it for a home entertainment system or simple browsing, etc, your best move may be buying used. I'd recommend looking at craigslist just to see if there are any "gaming" PCs for sale. If you could snag something with an AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 CPU, or something like a 6th or 7th gen Intel i5 or i7, you'd be in good shape. It would also be helpful to have a GPU, something like a 1080 would be great. Below is a list of parts and what you should be looking for, regardless of if you're buying new, used, or building.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3, 5, or 7 OR Intel i5 or i7 (older generations are fine)
  • RAM: 8GB is fine, no need to worry about the frequency, etc.
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 or above OR AMD RX 5600XT would be nice
  • PSU 500W or above would be sufficient
  • Storage: SSD would be great for a boot drive, + your HDD.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. Hope this helps. :)

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
If you don't game, never will, and don't have a hobby like video editing or anything else that needs a dedicated GPU, you shouldn't need the option to upgrade the GPU.

Possibly if you used the PC as a Plex media server, but it sounds more like you're just going to play the video files with the PC, using the TV as a monitor.

What country are you shopping in, if you don't mind saying? A relatively inexpensive off-the-shelf PC may do the job.

Feb 21, 2020
If you don't game, never will, and don't have a hobby like video editing or anything else that needs a dedicated GPU, you shouldn't need the option to upgrade the GPU.

Possibly if you used the PC as a Plex media server, but it sounds more like you're just going to play the video files with the PC, using the TV as a monitor.

What country are you shopping in, if you don't mind saying? A relatively inexpensive off-the-shelf PC may do the job.
I'm in Canada. I basically surf the net, watch youtube and play movies I download with my computer. Atm things aren't playing smooth and its a problem. Wouldn't a GPU that could be replaced be better then something integrated if the part failed? Not going to be a media server btw. Just movie files in a folder basically. I also rewrote the question to be more specific thanks.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Wouldn't a GPU that could be replaced be better then something integrated if the part failed?
No. I mean, it's no more convenient if you have a CPU with no integrated graphics, and your dGPU fails either.

You don't need a very expensive dedicated GPU. Decent onboard graphics, or the cheapest GPU that supports 4k resolution, would be fine. And given that the cheapest modern GPU in nvidia's lineup that does 4k is the GT 1030 which itself costs 90+ CAD (as much as a budget CPU with good onboard graphics) the dGPU route doesn't look appealing.

e.g.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.92 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $209.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-22 08:27 EST-0500

One of the cheapest motherboards with HDMI 2.0 (which you'll want for your 4k TV).

The CPU has integrated graphics easily capable of 4k 60hz, and in the unlikely event they ever failed you could just buy a dedicated GPU. Or replace the CPU, as it's not a particularly expensive one.

What is the spec of your old laptop? There's a chance you just need to troubleshoot that rather than buy new hardware.

gondo

Distinguished
What about an android tablet. You could use it in hand to download movies, browse net, etc.... then hook it to the tv for streaming. Even a $100 android TV box would do what you want if your using the TV 100% of the time. Hook an external hard drive for the storage and your set.