Discussion I Windows XP and I've found out how to have it available in Windows 10

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Via VirtualBox. It was a chore putting it on a Z77 Mobo with an i7-2600K, yes, and when I did the same thin on an X570 mobo with an AMD 3700X it was just as much a chore. But they both work like jewels. Next is to do it on my old MacPro 5.1, 2011, via either parallels or VB again.

I have used Ventura Publisher since about 6 months after it was first released in 86. And gave a hurrah when Corel bought it and produced v 4.2 the rescue that should have worked. But didn't. Today, a long time later, and 20 years after Corel officially dropped support, I still use it because it is the only app that can do what I need to be done all in one package: import from a dbf database file, importing and placing at the same, hundreds of photos anchored to text, formatting the text, and then...after final tweaks, additional photos and text, imposing the 4x6 document while printing to PostScript, into 9 page forms that can go directly to a platesetter and on to the press. No additional apps required. Well, I do use Acrobat distiller v8 (part of Adobe CS3) or even the current subscription version to produce the PDF output files.

VP10 has worked reasonably well native in W10 on a z77 LGA1155 mobo which dates back to about 2010. It flat refuses to work properly on a recent (2020) AMD board and chip. That, it did on the Z77 mobo until a few years ago when the database publisher module couldn't do it, and I had to revert to using the old "MailMerge" approach as an emergency measure. W10 "updates" are what I presume to have been the trigger for this different behavior.

After completing the first of the 2021 projects a week or so ago, which took me 2-3 times as long to complete, I decided to use VirtualBox 6.1 to install an XP SP3 instance and to then populate that with the needed database manager (Approach) as well as Ventura 10 and assorted utilities. The first installation worked like a charm.

I just finished the second, the AMD, installation and a run thru to see that stuff happens when it's called for...and it does. So far!<G>

The AMD box is as far away from the typical XP box as you might find these days, except for the mac pro<G>

XP would not even work on the AMD even as a separate boot drive using BSD. Too much difference between what it was expecting and what it could see, I suppose. The only option was a VM.

XP boots in VB to the desktop in 13 seconds on the AMD. I saw 5+ minute boot times back when. (agreed, 386-25 and even 486-33 were not much compared to today's selection.

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Via VirtualBox. It was a chore putting it on a Z77 Mobo with an i7-2600K, yes, and when I did the same thin on an X570 mobo with an AMD 3700X it was just as much a chore. But they both work like jewels. Next is to do it on my old MacPro 5.1, 2011, via either parallels or VB again.

I have used Ventura Publisher since about 6 months after it was first released in 86. And gave a hurrah when Corel bought it and produced v 4.2 the rescue that should have worked. But didn't. Today, a long time later, and 20 years after Corel officially dropped support, I still use it because it is the only app that can do what I need to be done all in one package: import from a dbf database file, importing and placing at the same, hundreds of photos anchored to text, formatting the text, and then...after final tweaks, additional photos and text, imposing the 4x6 document while printing to PostScript, into 9 page forms that can go directly to a platesetter and on to the press. No additional apps required. Well, I do use Acrobat distiller v8 (part of Adobe CS3) or even the current subscription version to produce the PDF output files.

VP10 has worked reasonably well native in W10 on a z77 LGA1155 mobo which dates back to about 2010. It flat refuses to work properly on a recent (2020) AMD board and chip. That, it did on the Z77 mobo until a few years ago when the database publisher module couldn't do it, and I had to revert to using the old "MailMerge" approach as an emergency measure. W10 "updates" are what I presume to have been the trigger for this different behavior.

After completing the first of the 2021 projects a week or so ago, which took me 2-3 times as long to complete, I decided to use VirtualBox 6.1 to install an XP SP3 instance and to then populate that with the needed database manager (Approach) as well as Ventura 10 and assorted utilities. The first installation worked like a charm.

I just finished the second, the AMD, installation and a run thru to see that stuff happens when it's called for...and it does. So far!<G>

The AMD box is as far away from the typical XP box as you might find these days, except for the mac pro<G>

XP would not even work on the AMD even as a separate boot drive using BSD. Too much difference between what it was expecting and what it could see, I suppose. The only option was a VM.

XP boots in VB to the desktop in 13 seconds on the AMD. I saw 5+ minute boot times back when. (agreed, 386-25 and even 486-33 were not much compared to today's selection.

XP woks just as nicely on my old MacPro cheese grater in a virtual box. I was even able to "export" the XP virtual machine from VB on the 2600K and "import" that on the mac.

Only issue I'm going to have to deal with is that main program, Ventura Publisher, uses lots of external files and generates links to them...effectively rebuilding the document each time you load it. On the winboxes the work folder is on "e:\" and I can't use that name on the mac. So I'll need to come up with a work-around.

FWIW this mac is a MP 4.1 (2009) flashed to a 5.1 (2010 and running Catalina via some trickery found in the internet by someone called "dosdr" or something like that. I also have an MP 3.1, 2008, running Mojave or Catalina (or High Sierra...I have several bootable drives I can boot from) and I will likely put the Virtual Box assembly on there as well.