I wish computers were as slow as they were 15 years ago

I liked CRPGs, I really did. When I read the manual, spent hours just
to decide the composition of the party, then creating the characters,
and going through the battles one step at a time, where battles were
challenging and you had to *think* to beat them.
Those were the days when computers were slow and games were turn
based... *sigh*
Nowadays, with all the graphics and 3d, looks like all game companies
concentrate 99% of their effort in adding double bump-mapping,
triple-buffering, 9x antialiasing, ultra-vertex-shaders, volumetric
pixeloids, etc. leaving, you know, the actual game to the last. Seems
like they think we are only interested in the latest advances, instead
of an actually good game.
Or maybe it is just me that liked those games when they weren't so
flashy. Maybe I just got old and since I don't have the reflexes I had
20 years ago, I just don't enjoy these lastest so called CRPGs. Or
maybe I enjoy them... the whole 8 hours it takes to finish them.
Just some random ramblings, going back to my old copy of Wiz6 on
DosBox...

How could you forget the name of my favorite Gold Box game, Champions
of Krynn!?! Slay hordes of draconians! Find a Dragonlance! Kill *lots*
of dragons with low level characters!

Hell yeah!

jake

<wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I liked CRPGs, I really did. When I read the manual, spent hours just
> to decide the composition of the party, then creating the characters,
> and going through the battles one step at a time, where battles were
> challenging and you had to *think* to beat them.
> Those were the days when computers were slow and games were turn
> based... *sigh*
> Nowadays, with all the graphics and 3d, looks like all game companies
> concentrate 99% of their effort in adding double bump-mapping,
> triple-buffering, 9x antialiasing, ultra-vertex-shaders, volumetric
> pixeloids, etc. leaving, you know, the actual game to the last. Seems
> like they think we are only interested in the latest advances, instead
> of an actually good game.
> Or maybe it is just me that liked those games when they weren't so
> flashy. Maybe I just got old and since I don't have the reflexes I had
> 20 years ago, I just don't enjoy these lastest so called CRPGs. Or
> maybe I enjoy them... the whole 8 hours it takes to finish them.
> Just some random ramblings, going back to my old copy of Wiz6 on
> DosBox...

I really enjoyed the dragonlance games, Dark Queen of Krynn, Death Knights
of Krynn and I can't remember the name of the first in the series. Which was
probably DragonLance knowing my luck!

Bitstring <1111010551.394728.158450@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person wolfing1@yahoo.com said
>I liked CRPGs, I really did. When I read the manual, spent hours just
>to decide the composition of the party, then creating the characters,
>and going through the battles one step at a time, where battles were
>challenging and you had to *think* to beat them.
>Those were the days when computers were slow and games were turn
>based... *sigh*
>Nowadays, with all the graphics and 3d, looks like all game companies
>concentrate 99% of their effort in adding double bump-mapping,
>triple-buffering, 9x antialiasing, ultra-vertex-shaders, volumetric
>pixeloids, etc. leaving, you know, the actual game to the last. Seems
>like they think we are only interested in the latest advances, instead
>of an actually good game.
>Or maybe it is just me that liked those games when they weren't so
>flashy. Maybe I just got old and since I don't have the reflexes I had
>20 years ago, I just don't enjoy these lastest so called CRPGs. Or
>maybe I enjoy them... the whole 8 hours it takes to finish them.
>Just some random ramblings, going back to my old copy of Wiz6 on
>DosBox...

If you haven't been there yet, nip across to www.spiderwebsoftware.com
and pick up the demos of Avernum 1-3, Genforge 1-2, Nethergate, etc.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

On 16 Mar 2005 15:13:44 -0800, jakefont@gmail.com wrote:

>How could you forget the name of my favorite Gold Box game, Champions
>of Krynn!?! Slay hordes of draconians! Find a Dragonlance! Kill *lots*
>of dragons with low level characters!
>
>Hell yeah!

Sir Strongsword rules! ;-)

I thought there was something missing in Bateau's posts ...

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:36:31 -0000, "Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> wrote:

><wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I liked CRPGs, I really did. When I read the manual, spent hours just
>> to decide the composition of the party, then creating the characters,
>> and going through the battles one step at a time, where battles were
>> challenging and you had to *think* to beat them.
>> Those were the days when computers were slow and games were turn
>> based... *sigh*
>> Nowadays, with all the graphics and 3d, looks like all game companies
>> concentrate 99% of their effort in adding double bump-mapping,
>> triple-buffering, 9x antialiasing, ultra-vertex-shaders, volumetric
>> pixeloids, etc. leaving, you know, the actual game to the last. Seems
>> like they think we are only interested in the latest advances, instead
>> of an actually good game.
>> Or maybe it is just me that liked those games when they weren't so
>> flashy. Maybe I just got old and since I don't have the reflexes I had
>> 20 years ago, I just don't enjoy these lastest so called CRPGs. Or
>> maybe I enjoy them... the whole 8 hours it takes to finish them.
>> Just some random ramblings, going back to my old copy of Wiz6 on
>> DosBox...
>>

>I really enjoyed the dragonlance games, Dark Queen of Krynn, Death Knights
>of Krynn and I can't remember the name of the first in the series. Which was
>probably DragonLance knowing my luck!

Champions of Krynn IIRC.

LYnley

GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>Bitstring <1111010551.394728.158450@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, from
>the wonderful person wolfing1@yahoo.com said
>>I liked CRPGs, I really did. When I read the manual, spent hours just
>>to decide the composition of the party, then creating the characters,
>>and going through the battles one step at a time, where battles were
>>challenging and you had to *think* to beat them.
>>Those were the days when computers were slow and games were turn
>>based... *sigh*
>>Nowadays, with all the graphics and 3d, looks like all game companies
>>concentrate 99% of their effort in adding double bump-mapping,
>>triple-buffering, 9x antialiasing, ultra-vertex-shaders, volumetric
>>pixeloids, etc. leaving, you know, the actual game to the last. Seems
>>like they think we are only interested in the latest advances, instead
>>of an actually good game.
>>Or maybe it is just me that liked those games when they weren't so
>>flashy. Maybe I just got old and since I don't have the reflexes I had
>>20 years ago, I just don't enjoy these lastest so called CRPGs. Or
>>maybe I enjoy them... the whole 8 hours it takes to finish them.
>>Just some random ramblings, going back to my old copy of Wiz6 on
>>DosBox...
>
>If you haven't been there yet, nip across to www.spiderwebsoftware.com
>and pick up the demos of Avernum 1-3, Genforge 1-2, Nethergate, etc.

If you want to support terrorism!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:47:21 +0800, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
wrote:

>GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>>Bitstring <1111010551.394728.158450@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, from
>>the wonderful person wolfing1@yahoo.com said
>>>I liked CRPGs, I really did. When I read the manual, spent hours just
>>>to decide the composition of the party, then creating the characters,
>>>and going through the battles one step at a time, where battles were
>>>challenging and you had to *think* to beat them.
>>>Those were the days when computers were slow and games were turn
>>>based... *sigh*
>>>Nowadays, with all the graphics and 3d, looks like all game companies
>>>concentrate 99% of their effort in adding double bump-mapping,
>>>triple-buffering, 9x antialiasing, ultra-vertex-shaders, volumetric
>>>pixeloids, etc. leaving, you know, the actual game to the last. Seems
>>>like they think we are only interested in the latest advances, instead
>>>of an actually good game.
>>>Or maybe it is just me that liked those games when they weren't so
>>>flashy. Maybe I just got old and since I don't have the reflexes I had
>>>20 years ago, I just don't enjoy these lastest so called CRPGs. Or
>>>maybe I enjoy them... the whole 8 hours it takes to finish them.
>>>Just some random ramblings, going back to my old copy of Wiz6 on
>>>DosBox...
>>
>>If you haven't been there yet, nip across to www.spiderwebsoftware.com
>>and pick up the demos of Avernum 1-3, Genforge 1-2, Nethergate, etc.
>
>If you want to support terrorism!

Huh? When did SPiderweb become a front for terrorists?

Lynley

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-17, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:47:21 +0800, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>

>>If you want to support terrorism!
>
> Huh? When did SPiderweb become a front for terrorists?

He's just trolling. You missed the days where he'd have a 80 line
signature of ascii art. A killfile is a good thing :)

On 17 Mar 2005 12:56:27 -0800, "Gichin" <timrhughes@aol.com> wrote:

>I thought there was something missing in Bateau's posts ...

So not just thought provoking meaningful prose then?

nostromo

Thus spake Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com>, Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:53:07
+0200, Anno Domini:

>Huh? When did SPiderweb become a front for terrorists?

Oh God, don't encourage it ffs!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:13:28 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-03-17, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:47:21 +0800, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
>
>>>If you want to support terrorism!
>>
>> Huh? When did SPiderweb become a front for terrorists?
>
>He's just trolling. You missed the days where he'd have a 80 line
>signature of ascii art. A killfile is a good thing :)

I remember that. Was annoying, but I figured ti kf him was more
effort than he was worth.

LYnley