I wish someone would point me in the right direction as to which laptop i should buy for my 6 year old son.

Dec 5, 2020
I wish someone would point me in the right direction as to which laptop i should buy for my 6 year old son.
i know he would like to game on this laptop but i need to keep it under 500, preferrably cheaper but $500 is definitely my limit. i have narrowed it down between 2 laptops the HP 14 inch touchscreen, 8gb or the ASUS f512ja-as34 vivobook 15...8gb. Anyone with any insight or knowledge out there that could help me? Thank you in advance

COLGeek

Cybernaut
From where do you intend to purchase/order, if you have a preference?

This HP (not sure if one you are considering), would have better graphics capability than the Asus. The AMD Vega integrated GPU will be stronger than the Intel integrated GPU in the Asus.

However, the Asus screen resolution will be sharper (higher resolution) than the HP.

Neither system is really intended for gaming. They are more general purpose systems.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-14-inch-Touchscreen-3-3200U-Bluetooth/dp/B081TWCG7C

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-F512JA-AS34-VivoBook-i3-1005G1-Fingerprint/dp/B0869L1326

Reactions: farrah12345

Ralston18

Titan
And budget in some sort of repair/replace insurance or warranty plan.

Read the plan's fine print very carefully to know what is and is not covered and included.

He may be very careful etc, but siblings, other kids, pets - not so much.

i know he would like to game on this laptop but i need to keep it under 500, preferrably cheaper but $500 is definitely my limit. i have narrowed it down between 2 laptops the HP 14 inch touchscreen, 8gb or the ASUS f512ja-as34 vivobook 15...8gb. Anyone with any insight or knowledge out there that could help me? Thank you in advance

For a 6 yr old, get a cheaper tablet. By the time he is old enough to use a proper computer without destroying it the one you bought now would be out-dated. Or buy a desktop with a cheap keyboard/mouse that can be swapped when it's filled with milk or something.

Reactions: Alabalcho
I'd also suggest a tablet for your son' gaming. Getting a non-gaming laptop will just disappoint him when a buddy says "I have this fantastic game on my PC", and will not run properly (of at all) on that generic hardware. And keeping that laptop virus free, and away from adult sites, will be a tough job.