I Wish to upgrade an intergrated graphics chip on my laptop

ExcessiveOverkill

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hi, i have an acer aspire 772oz, with these specs

Mainboard : Acer Poyang
Chipset : Intel GM965
Processor : Intel Pentium T2310 @ 1466 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N
DVD-Rom Drive : CQ0535P XGE859L SCSI CdRom Device
DVD-Rom Drive : HS1807S VSZ539B SCSI CdRom Device
DVD-Rom Drive : HS1807S VSZ539B SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : LGPhilipsLCD - 17 inches
Network Card : Broadcom Corp NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet
Network Card : Broadcom Corp Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2008)
RAM: 2 GIGABYTES

But I get a rather low FPS on Left 4 Dead (Demo). I realy want to play the game without the low framerate and I cannot get a new system... thankyou credit crunch. Anyway, I was wondering what I can do to up the framerate to above 5FPS besides lowering graphics. For some odd reason I lose performance from putting settings below the reccomended.

The game plays fine untill Im actualy playing it.

Now im wondering... is it possible for me to upgrade my graphics chip? I know someone who builds laptops with these things and would it be worth doing so? and if so can you tell me one that is good value for money and fairly cheap that I can UPGRADE to and get installed with it (the chip and the laptop) being fully functional?

OR Is there anything easier, cheaper and less risky i can upgrade to improve framerate from slideshow to acceptable?

G

Sorry, integrated graphics are, well, integrated - soldered right onto the mainboard as part of the Northbridge chip. There is no way of upgrading laptop integrated graphics.

Stuart

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
You're pretty much SoL. For the vast majority of cases, there is no way to upgrade laptop graphics cards, and going from integrated to dedicated is significantly less likely possibility.

You might try reducing the resolution (either by scaling or by using less of the LCD).

Short of buying a new laptop with a more powerful video card you can opt to wait for a solution from AMD. They announced an external video card for laptops called XGP. Whether or not it actually gets released is up in the air as this product was officially announced about 5 months ago.

http://ati.amd.com/technology/xgp/index.html

However, your laptop may not be compatible anyway because:

The device connects to specially designed notebook using the uniquely crafted external PCI Express© 2.0 connector designed and developed with JAE Electronics, Inc. Once the device is plugged in ATI XGP technology is activated.