[SOLVED] I woke up to a dead power supply & motherboard

Cheeky_Skrub

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Hi there,

My PC (specs below) was working fine yesterday before I slept. I awoke to it just not turning on and showing no signs of activity, like no case LED fan action.
I need help solving this situation as I just can't find any solution. I'm pretty much stumped.
(please note: my PC was switched off at night as I didn't have anything that needed an overnight download)

What I've done so far:
-I tried to use the pin method to jump the PSU but my fans didn't spin.
-I hooked up a new PSU but the cpu and gpu fans won't turn on. I did make sure all the wires were connected properly.
-Checked if the USB devices connect to the motherboard were ok. They are okay and work well.

Due to my motherboard and chip being pretty old I couldn't find another spare z97,h97, z87,b85, h81 motherboard to test on. So it can't test if my i7 4790k, gpu and hard drives are till in working order.

What I suspect might be the cause for this mishap is some type of power surge that went from my power strip to my PC at night. I'm still a bit unsure about this theory because the other devices connect to the powerstrip are still in working order.

Due to not being able to find a compatible motherboard, I still dunno if my other PC parts are salvageable. Could you guys recommend me any solutions to fix this weird issue of mine.

My specs:
Specs:
-i7 4790k
-120gb ssd
-corsair 750w PSU
-zotac gtx 970
-Asrock H97M itx/ac mini
-Silverstone sg13 case
-1tb HDD

Solution
Yip the old Green sticker PSU's were probably the worst ever to be released with the Corsair label, and the 750w one was the the worst of the lot to boot (pun intended). If the mobo is dead then the chances that everything else is dead too has risen but the only way is to find away to test the components in a working system. What a pain, I really feel for you as this is not a great time to be looking for PC components at a reasonable price.
if all you did was turn it off at the wall i would check the kettle plug fuse unless its sealed on try another kettle plug.
Plug something else into the wall socket to see if the wall socket is faulty.
Btw whey do you unplug it at night , you dont need to !

Cheeky_Skrub

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
if all you did was turn it off at the wall i would check the kettle plug fuse unless its sealed on try another kettle plug.
Plug something else into the wall socket to see if the wall socket is faulty.
Btw whey do you unplug it at night , you dont need to !
I tried to change my power with an extra one I had from a rice cooker. It didn't work for me. I tried the pin jumpstart method to see if the psu would works but no luck there.

I tried using my power strip with the wall socket and it worked. I was using the same powerstrip that my PC was plugged into the night it stopped working.
I bunch of other devices connected to the power strip still function well.

I didn't turn off the wall socket plug the night my PC went down. I've been keeping it one ever since I got the PC.

Do you think it's possible that my PSU malfunctioned at night hand ended up shorting itself? I'm just really confused why thou?

What a model of Corsair PSU is it and how old? If it shorted there is a good chance that just the PSU is dead and other components are fine, most have a protection system that even if your PSU explodes it will not take everything with it. . I would get a new good quality PSU and try it, you will have to anyway for a build and you may just be lucky and all is O.K.

Of course there is also the chance that everything is RIP, I wish you the former !!!

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
My money is also on the dead PSU.

The same thing happened to me eons ago. Everything was well the night before but the computer wouldn't power up the next day. A new PSU later, I was back in business.

It is unnerving to see nothing happening after pressing the power button. Been there, done that. ;)

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020

The same thing happened to me eons ago. Everything was well the night before but the computer wouldn't power up the next day. A new PSU later, I was back in business.

It is unnerving to see nothing happen after pressing the power button. Been there, done that. ;)

Cheeky_Skrub

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017

It is unnerving to see nothing happening after pressing the power button. Been there, done that. ;)
I believe that the PSU is definitely dead since it won't jumpstart with the pin test.
I actually got tested out the system with a new psu at a PC repair shop and my PC still showed no signs of life.

The guy told me that the Motherboard could be dead also. He didn't have a system on hand to help me test out the gpu, cpu and HDD.

Your previous experience matches my situation 1 to 1, did figure out what caused ur PSU to just give up at night. I think maybe that might help me access how much damage the event did to my system.

Cheeky_Skrub

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
What a model of Corsair PSU is it and how old? If it shorted there is a good chance that just the PSU is dead and other components are fine, most have a protection system that even if your PSU explodes it will not take everything with it. . I would get a new good quality PSU and try it, you will have to anyway for a build and you may just be lucky and all is O.K.

Of course there is also the chance that everything is RIP, I wish you the former !!!

All I know is that my PSU is a 'Corsair CX750M, I believe it's the V1 version as it has green letters on it's sticker '. I don't know when it was made as I had bought the whole pc secondhand in 2017.

I actually got to test out the system with a new psu at a PC repair shop and my PC still showed no signs of life.

The guy told me that the Motherboard could be dead also. He didn't have a system on hand to help me test out the gpu, cpu and HDD.

I wanna find a way to help accurately access if my PC components are still functional ((except the psu, because it's definitely dead) ).

Yip the old Green sticker PSU's were probably the worst ever to be released with the Corsair label, and the 750w one was the the worst of the lot to boot (pun intended). If the mobo is dead then the chances that everything else is dead too has risen but the only way is to find away to test the components in a working system. What a pain, I really feel for you as this is not a great time to be looking for PC components at a reasonable price.

Solution

Cheeky_Skrub

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I hope all the parts aren't dead.
I can try to find a friend to help me test out my gpu and HDD (maybe ram but my DDR3 ram need a specific mobo and chipset to work).
Do you think that there is any way of checking if my CPU works without a mobo. (I've got a i7 4790k, it's been through a lot but it's was standing till yesterday).

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Unfortunately, you'll need compatible, known-good parts to try and isolate just how far the damage is. Though, it is rare for a PSU to take along PC parts with it.

I've seen PSUs fail catastrophically in front of me... the snap, crackle, pop with magic smoke kind... but none, so far, has ever taken anything else with it.