I won a contest maybe...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok, i got a private message that read

*************************************************************************************************
*************************************************************************************************
To: alidan

Sent on: November 18, 2014 12:48 AM

Hello there!

On behalf of everybody here at Tom’s Guide, I’d like to congratulate you on being selected as one of the winners of our Tom’s Guide Launch Contest!

We’d like to send out your prize right away, but first we’ll need to collect your shipping information. We’ve drawn up a quick little form for you to fill out, and you can find that here:

(google doc, i removed it in case this is real)

Once we have your shipping information, we’ll send out your prize right away! The prize you will receive has already been predetermined through random selection. You will be receiving a copy of Titanfall. Please let us know whether you would prefer a copy for the PC or for the XBox One.

We understand that you might not have time to fill the form out right away, but in the interest of fairness and trying to get these prizes to everybody before the holidays begin, we do have to put a small time limit on this. If we don’t hear from you within two weeks, your prize will unfortunately be forfeit, and will be offered to another participant, so please be sure to take a few minutes to fill out the form!

Once again, congratulations and thank you for taking part in the Tom’s Guide Launch Contest! We hope you will be sticking around and helping us to build this community into one as great as the Tom’s Hardware community. Enjoy your prize; we hope it will bring a little joy to you during this holiday season!

Regards,
Kevin Ng
Community Assistant, Tom’s Hardware & Tom’s Guide

now i sign up for contests that toms runs whenever i see them, however... i dont remember a titan fall and a "launch" contest for a game that came out in march seems... i dont know... out of place.

going to the google doc

Tom's Guide Launch Contest Winners - Prize Shipping
Congratulations on being one of the nine winners of the Tom's Guide Launch Contest! Now then, to get your prize to you we'll need you to tell us where to send it, so we slapped together this simple Google form for easier tracking for our Community people who handle the fulfillment.
Please fill out the information below to the best of your ability and expect to receive your prize within a week or so allowing some time for shipping and handling. Information provided will be matched to our internal list of prize winners and will not be sold, shared, or used to spam you. Please direct any questions or issues about prize fulfillment to Community Assistant Kevin Ng at kng@purch.com.

Thanks!

* Required

followed by me putting in user name, name, address, phone...
so my question is...
is this legit?

i wouldn't doubt there was a contest like this around the time the game launched... but what... half a year later?
if it was more than just a game... well... more than just this game specifically, i would probably put info in and still ask here after, mostly because what they are asking for i don't think they could steal my accounts or anything... but getting signed up for phone calls or a mailing list for bs i don't need isn't what i want to do, at least not for this game.

Solution
That's more Andrew's account, for the purpose of publishing tutorials. I always figured my title and Administrator badge would carry a bit more weight, but I may have to rethink things.

To clear things up, the "Launch Contest" was for the launch of the Tom's Guide forum community, which opened up in the beginning of October. Titanfall just happened to be one of the prizes, we weren't actually celebrating the launch of the game or anything haha. We use Google docs for the purposes of collecting contact information because it just makes it much easier to have it all in a spreadsheet, as opposed to in dozens of different PMs. Again, I do apologize for any confusion, but congrats on winning something so close to your birthday :D

Yup, it's legit.

You won a Tom's contest, congrats!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
I apologize that my forum username is not official looking enough to be believed! This keeps happening when I try to inform people that they have won something. Sometimes I wonder if I should just change it :(

As for the prizes themselves, well, the winners were randomly selected. Some of them may not be as impressive as others, but you won a free thing for just hanging out on the forums!

We absolutely will not use your information for anything other than mailing your prize to you, so don't worry about that. Us community guys have no interest in calling you and trying to sell you things, we are quite busy with other things as it is haha. The Google doc was only sent to the winners (and thank you for not making that link public) and there are only two people with access to it: Joe Pishgar, the Community Manager, and myself. So rest assured, there is no malicious intent at all!

magepker

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The reason i was so skeptical was because i've never won ANYTHING..... EVER.

But thanks for the reassurance :D :D

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

the name was one thing... not seeing an obvious way to check who it was made me go to the forums,
what my hang up was this

1) it was called "Tom’s Guide Launch Contest" and what i got was titanfall... game has been out for months so getting it in a "launch" contest was a bit suspect...
2) the part where i had to put personal info wasn't part of the site

with that aside... thanks for the what is now basically a birthday present.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
That's more Andrew's account, for the purpose of publishing tutorials. I always figured my title and Administrator badge would carry a bit more weight, but I may have to rethink things.

To clear things up, the "Launch Contest" was for the launch of the Tom's Guide forum community, which opened up in the beginning of October. Titanfall just happened to be one of the prizes, we weren't actually celebrating the launch of the game or anything haha. We use Google docs for the purposes of collecting contact information because it just makes it much easier to have it all in a spreadsheet, as opposed to in dozens of different PMs. Again, I do apologize for any confusion, but congrats on winning something so close to your birthday :D

Solution