i wonder what to get

mh909

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
ive been doing a lot of research on this matter of video cards, but i still have a problem. i have a geforce 2 mx 400 right now, but i want to upgrade to another nvidia card for less than $175. so far the ti 4800 SE seems like a good choice, thought the fx 5600 non-ultra is up there to. would the fx 5600 be a better choice with regards to upcoming games (call of duty, halo, and other shooters). the 5600 is cheaper than the 4800 SE and ive seen a lot of variety in how it places in benchmarks. right now i mostly play enemy territory, crimson skies, C&C generals. thanks

sorry all you fanATIcs, but no ATi for me.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
"sorry all you fanATIcs, but no ATi for me."

Wow you're a very open minded (oops i hate that phrase), logical, and reasonable person aren't you.

Mind telling us WHY? Since, in your price range, ATI is what you should be wanting!!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
If you must go with Nvidia, I would choose the DirextX 9.0 Compliant GFX 5600 because it is more future proof than the DX 8.0 Compliant GeForce 4 ti 4800 SE even though the Ti 4800 will beat the 5600 in currenet benchmarks. Also the Ti 4800 SE has a premium price to be paid because it was the very last flagship Nvidia model of the GeForce 4 series. In fact, a Ti 4200 performs closely to the 5600 according to anandtech, even on Doom 3 the performance gap between Ti4200 and Fx 5600 is not all that large.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
No, under no circumstances buy a 5600. *IF for some unlogical irrational reason you MUST go with an nVidia card, spend a bit more and get an FX5600 Ultra (revision 2, which can be recognized by its clock speeds of 400/800).

It is the only nVidia card worth buying... period.
(256 9800 Pro OC'd whoops 256 FX's ass and dosn't cheat, similar situation with 128mb cards, even a 128mb 9800 Pro vs. a 256mb 5900 Ultra)

However what you really should be looking at is a Radeon 9700 (not the Pro version). These can be found for around 200 dollars and will literally whoop a 5600s ASS, even the ultras. This is true for current AND (especially even) future games.

Open your mind before you open your wallet:)

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, I'd probably go for either the 5600 Ultra or the Ti4200. The Ti4200 is an excellent value, and the 5600 ULtra is an excellent performer. Everything between seems like a poor comprimise, neither a good value nor an excellent performer.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
You are not going to know what you're missing. sorry. The best nvidia cards for your money are the 4200 and the 4800. The 5600 is a bad attempt at trying to catch the 9500. It gave up too much quality for speed.
Coolsqirtle is a fellow Nvidiot, so check out his Buyer's guide. He also wrote a lot of Spitfire's FAQ, at the top of the page. They know of what they speek.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 08/26/03 02:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
5600 Ultra Rev2 is your best Nvidia choice if you can find one cheap enough.
Don't bother with a 4800 SE, go for a Ti4200 because performance will be almost exactly the same but cost wayyy cheaper than $175.

Of course, regardless of your choice I will own you with my 9500 PRO... but you're not interested in Ati, and that's your business. :)

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

mh909

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
lol, i see you guys really dont like people who want things to be easy and just upgrade from nvidia to nvidia. i do not see anything wrong with nvidia cards, my geforce 2 rules so much. and i dont really care about the cheating drivers because i have no idea what it is, and i doubt it will affect me. the only ATi experience ive had has been super bad (defective card out of the box)

anyways i will probably go with the 4200 from MSI. seems like a cool card, plus has cool software and stuff with it.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Well, the 4200 is certainly a nice card, but you should think about the future. If you can afford $175 for a card, why not spend it? You can spend $140 on a Radeon 9600 Pro, which will whip the 4200. I have a 9600 Pro, it has given me NO PROBLEMS, whatsoever. I think that you'd be happier in the long run. You'll have DX9, more speed, superior image quality... just think about it, at least.

As for the cheating thing, that really applies for to the FX series, so you're right, it probably wouldn't affect you, but the dishonesty is what really gets to me and the others.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

mh909

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
now that 9600 pro is sounding really enticing. though my brother doesnt like ATi because during his internship as an IT guy, he had several problems with the ATi software. why does choosing graphics card have to be so hard!?! the only reason im favoring nvidia is that i already have one, its been good, and i dont like surprises. i have nothing against ATi, in fact im looking at the mobility 9600 for a laptop (and why cant they include free games with their cards!?!?! :) ).

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Ti4200 is the way to go period.

"Coolsqirtle is a fellow Nvidiot"
lemme re phase
"Coolsqirtle is a fellow NvBOY"
IT NVBOY!! I'm not stooopid like nVidiots

also i wrote the entire FAQ, spitfire just made it readable (i love u spit fire!)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

endyen

Splendid
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I really do respect your opinion, even when everyone else disagrees. Hey, that means you are rooting for the underdog. Maybe, someday I'll join you.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Try to be open minded. The ATI cards are your best bet for your budget.

i dont really care about the cheating drivers because i have no idea what it is, and i doubt it will affect me
Don't fall for this. It does affect you since the cards don't work as advertised. At least if you buy a FX card.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Ti 4200....best for the value. Leave the FX5600 alone unless it is an Ultra Rev2. Seriously man, the 4800 has no improved performance above the Ti 4200. You can have the 4200 for so much less as well. If you think the 5600 is the way to go simply because it has DX9 compliance...you need hit in the forehead with a hammer. The 5600 regular will not have a large (if any) performance gain over the 4200 in DX9 games...no kidding. It is the crappiest attempt Nvidia had to overtake ATI. Like I said, unless you get the Ultra...don't even think about it...the 4200 is your best bet for price/value.

<font color=blue>I don't have to be careful! I have a gun!</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Get a card that will suite your needs, that's it.
I would not recommend getting a very expensive card neither like the 5900 or 9800. But the best choice so far is getting either a GF4200 or a Radeon9600 or higher. These cards have a good price/performance ratio. Plus if you play a lot of Direct 3D games get the 9600. :smile:

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>