[SOLVED] I work from home and have horrible internet connection.. help please

Jan 21, 2021
Im having issues with wifi and/or internet and have no idea why. I threw out my dlink router a year ago and replaced it with an ASUS AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Router. I need help figuring it out, I recently upgraded to 400mbps internet yesterday and am awaiting to see what happens but I doubt its going to fix the issue. I live in a common ranch style home (1900sqft) and the router and modem are in the far right corner of the house. I should mention I spend most of my time in the basement working from home which my desk is on the far left of my house. I have tried getting Charter to reset my signal, I have disconnected both modem and router waited 30 seconds and replugged them in.. just doesnt seem to be working..

Here is what ive been experiencing:

1. Poor wifi when playing games on my phone
  2. Internet disconnecting on my pc, disappearing and a few minutes later appearing again
  3. During microsoft team calls with clients I experience significant lag to the point where things freeze and I cant hear the audio for 10-20 seconds.

I just cant have this keep happening with working from home and having important meetings. I greatly appreciate the advice.

Further thoughts: Would buying an Eros pro with 3 stations help solve this issue? I just hate that I spent $180 on a router that doesn't work properly...

Solution
What makes the powerline better for mobile devices?
It provides a stable ethernet and WiFi source where you need it, via the physical cable.
It is one step below a real ethernet cable.

A range extender is placed midway between where the original WiFi source is and where you need it.
It is trying to talk in both directions at once, via WiFi.

A range extender should be the absolute last recourse.
Jan 21, 2021
WiFi should be far far down the list of connection types.

First, Ethernet
2nd-3rd. Powerline or MOCA (if you have coax throughout the house)
A far distant 4th...WiFi. No matter what repeaters you want to stick in there.
I understand what you are referring to, but I have to have WiFi working in my house. I can’t just rewire my house for Ethernet. Half of my problem is phones and other mobile devices that aren’t capable of connecting to ethernet.

USAFRet

Titan
I understand what you are referring to, but I have to have WiFi working in my house. I can’t just rewire my house for Ethernet. Half of my problem is phones and other mobile devices that aren’t capable of connecting to ethernet.
Some powerline devices have built in WiFi.
WiFi source in the room you actually need it, along with a regular ethernet connection.

Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Everywhere-Powerline-Dual-Band-TPL-430AP/dp/B07318ZLNK

kanewolf

Titan
But to have good WIFI, you have to have a wired infrastructure to tie multiple WIFI radios together and to move stationary devices, like TVs off WIFI. @USAFRet is just pointing out that you need to have infrastructure in place.
Is running a cable down from first floor to basement, then to your office possible ? Paying a professional to install cable should always be considered as an option.

Jan 21, 2021
But to have good WIFI, you have to have a wired infrastructure to tie multiple WIFI radios together and to move stationary devices, like TVs off WIFI. @USAFRet is just pointing out that you need to have infrastructure in place.
Is running a cable down from first floor to basement, then to your office possible ? Paying a professional to install cable should always be considered as an option.
Would buying two of these and plugging my computer into one of them help my issue?
TRENDnet Wi-Fi Everywhere Powerline 1200 AV2 AC1200 Wireless Access Point, Dual-Band, 3 x Gigabit Ports, WiFi Clone, Cross Compatible with Powerline 600/500/200, TPL-430AP White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07318ZLNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_T2CcGbA47RZA2

USAFRet

Titan
How about something like this Limited-time deal: D-Link WiFi Range Extender Plug EXO Mesh AC2000 Dual Band Wireless or Ethernet Port (DAP-1820-US) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NP4QFJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_dlT3_3-DcGbKM5K5T2
I wouldn't.
That is still "WiFi". A range extender.

Getting WiFi from the main router and attempting to pass it further on to your client devices.
It is trying to talk in both directions at once. Cutting any throughput in half, at best.

kanewolf

Titan
Jan 21, 2021
I wouldn't.
That is still "WiFi". A range extender.

Getting WiFi from the main router and attempting to pass it further on to your client devices.
It is trying to talk in both directions at once. Cutting any throughput in half, at best.
Can you send me a link to one you think will work? Thanks so much!

Jan 21, 2021
"mesh" is a marketing buzzword.
They want you to think it is some new thing...a mesh that fills up your house, and you can seamlessly stroll around with no loss of connection.
Basically, it is just another Access Point.

Yes, a powerline solution is almost certainly better.

USAFRet

Titan
It provides a stable ethernet and WiFi source where you need it, via the physical cable.
It is one step below a real ethernet cable.

A range extender is placed midway between where the original WiFi source is and where you need it.
It is trying to talk in both directions at once, via WiFi.

A range extender should be the absolute last recourse.

Solution