[SOLVED] I would like to inquire about why upgrading the GPU from GT 620 to GTX 1050 on my PC did not work.

Sep 25, 2020
The original PC specifications are as follows:
1. Motherboard - Lenovo IdeaCentre K430
Serial # - removed
BIOS Date - February 16, 2012
  1. CPU - Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.00GHz
  2. GPU - NVIDIA GT620
  3. Memory - 12GB DDR3
  4. Storage - 2TB HDD
  5. PSU - iCute ATX-450W/P4
  6. OS - Windows 7 (Original)
Windows 10 Pro (Installed on July 25, 2020)

When I tried booting the computer after installing the new GPU, it went only as far as the Lenovo title screen. The GPU fan did work but there were 3 single beeps after, then the monitor showed "no display".

Solution
If you didn't see the bios, it's an issue between your card and monitor. AMD and Nvidia have gone all digital on their outputs, and I'm guessing you are still using an old VGA monitor. There are no outputs on modern cards that support it. You need to get an ACTIVE adapter to make it work now.

And you still need to replace that PSU shaped object in your PC.

4745454b

Titan
You did see the computer start to boot? The monitor did show the bios, etc?i

The pc you have is rather old. I'm assuming it needs a bios update to work with a newer gpu. You psu is super garbage by the way. You'll want to replace that if you want to use the 1050.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you remove the new card, plug the monitor into the motherboard - if possible - are you able to boot and reach bios?

I think you're screwed if there's no new bios available.
The most recent cards that old system should be able to recognize are:
Nvidia: GTX 700 series
AMD: Radeon R9 series

Reactions: WyeDelta217
Sep 25, 2020
I haven't tried booting the pc without a graphics card, but the GT 620 that I have now can reach BIOS and works just fine.

It would be a good thing if there's a gaming graphics card that would still be compatible with my PC.

4745454b

Titan
If you didn't see the bios, it's an issue between your card and monitor. AMD and Nvidia have gone all digital on their outputs, and I'm guessing you are still using an old VGA monitor. There are no outputs on modern cards that support it. You need to get an ACTIVE adapter to make it work now.

Solution
Sep 25, 2020

My current monitor has both VGA and HMDI ports. Is it better to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter or an HDMI cable?

Last edited: