Question I would like to OC but I have no clue how

Sep 19, 2019
Hello all! As the title states I would like to try and OC my pc. I should also state I'm quite bad with computers and I don't know much about them or Overclocking for that matter. All help is greatly appreciated!

Ram: 16gb ddr3 Corsair vengeance

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V PRO (LGA1155)

GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Dual fan version with factory OC)

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz

PSU: Seasonic 520 Watts

Now i know that this motherboard can OC my cpu even though my cpu isn't a K version. I don't know what most of the settings in the BIOS mean but I would really love some help. I'm not looking for massive increases just some minor ones that could give me a few extra frames in games. I only hope to get around 4ghz in total.

D

Deleted member 14196

if you are 'bad with computers' then my take is, DON'T. period. let the bios auto oc it and leave it alone. if you don't know how to get into the BIOS, then definitely leave it alone and don't attempt it.

educate yourself online, read, read, read and then do more reading. find a friend who does it and they can help you learn. don't do it on your own without proper education. I am sure you will get lots of good advice from this forum. there are guru's who do that stuff. Hopefully they can help. Good luck, and don't burn up any motherboards like I did back in the day.. lol

if you change stuff in bios, you can always revert to default setting later, if you can boot into bios that is. but you need to master your bios. your pc mobo should have a manual, read it for the BIOS section at least.

Reactions: King_V
Sep 19, 2019
if you are 'bad with computers' then my take is, DON'T. period. let the bios auto oc it and leave it alone. if you don't know how to get into the BIOS, then definitely leave it alone and don't attempt it.

educate yourself online, read, read, read and then do more reading. find a friend who does it and they can help you learn. don't do it on your own without proper education. I am sure you will get lots of good advice from this forum. there are guru's who do that stuff. Hopefully they can help. Good luck, and don't burn up any motherboards like I did back in the day.. lol

if you change stuff in bios, you can always revert to default setting later, if you can boot into bios that is. but you need to master your bios. your pc mobo should have a manual, read it for the BIOS section at least.
Alright, I might leave it alone then. How could i let the bios auto oc it? I heard XMP is unstable and I shouldn't use it. If i can Auto OC that would be totally fine

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You would only be able to do BLCK overclocking with a locked 2600, this can get complicated and is certainly not as easy as changing the multiplier on a k CPU. BLCK or base clock overclocking will change the speed of the memory, cpu, and various bus speeds. Not something I would recommend someone with no experience overclocking try. Any auto OC motherboard functionality will not work with a locked CPU.

Sep 19, 2019
Maybe we should start with asking: WHY do you want to overclock it?
I want to OC so i can get not a lot but just a few extra frames in game. I run a few games at highest settings but only get around 50 fps and would like to maybe bump it up to 60 : D. I'm not looking for massive improvements just small ones i may be able to make

Sep 19, 2019
You would only be able to do BLCK overclocking with a locked 2600, this can get complicated and is certainly not as easy as changing the multiplier on a k CPU. BLCK or base clock overclocking will change the speed of the memory, cpu, and various bus speeds. Not something I would recommend someone with no experience overclocking try. Any auto OC motherboard functionality will not work with a locked CPU.
I see. So if i were to OC i must do it manually?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I want to OC so i can get not a lot but just a few extra frames in game. I run a few games at highest settings but only get around 50 fps and would like to maybe bump it up to 60 : D. I'm not looking for massive improvements just small ones i may be able to make
What specific games? And at what resolution? Are you absolutely certain it's a CPU limitation and not a GPU limitation?

BCLK is really sensitive (it controls the speed of pretty much everything on your motherboard) so you'll only be able to add 0-5MHz before it gets unstable. That's often however enough to see real world performance gains as everything is affected.
BCLK only overclocking is also pretty easy as you really don't need to touch anything else. Just add 1MHz and see if it's stable, if it is then add another 1MHz and so on until it's not stable, then just go back to the last stable speed and stress test for a longer period.
Getting a stable BCLK oc can be pretty tedious as it has a habit of crashing pretty randomly even after long periods of stability.

Sep 19, 2019
BCLK is really sensitive (it controls the speed of pretty much everything on your motherboard) so you'll only be able to add 0-5MHz before it gets unstable. That's often however enough to see real world performance gains as everything is affected.
BCLK only overclocking is also pretty easy as you really don't need to touch anything else. Just add 1MHz and see if it's stable, if it is then add another 1MHz and so on until it's not stable, then just go back to the last stable speed and stress test for a longer period.
Getting a stable BCLK oc can be pretty tedious as it has a habit of crashing pretty randomly even after long periods of stability.
Probably wont OC then. Seems like a lot of trouble for really small gains

Reactions: King_V