[SOLVED] I would like to upgrade my PC for 4k Premiere and After Effects editing. Can someone help me?

erin.draper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
Hey. I have a fairly decent computer. However, since buying it a couple years ago it has never performed as well as I expected.
I would like to upgrade it so I can edit 4k video. At the moment it really struggles, even with 1080p at times.
What would be the best parts to swap out?
Budget wise I am thinking somewhere between £400 - £700 I could spend on new parts.
What would be the most beneficial to upgrade?
Specs below

- (GRAPHICS CARD) ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060--O6G 6 GB

- (MOTHERBOARD) Asus ROG STRIX B350-F Socket AM4 AMD B350 DDR4 S-ATA 600 ATX

- (RAM) Corsair 163301 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

- Plus (RAM) Corsair CMR16GX4M2C3000C15 Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- (PROCESSOR) AMD Ryzen 7 1700 65 W 8/16 Core 3.7 GHz 4 MB CPU - with stock cooler

- (POWER) Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU (UK) Hybrid Modular Power Supply Unit

- (SSD) WD 512 GB PCIe SSD Read up to 2050 MB/s (Windows 10 installed)

- (HDD) 2tb Seagate Barracuda

Solution
Again thanks very useful information.

They look affordable for my budget. Even the AMD Ryzen 7 3800X is £302 on amazon at the moment which doesnt seem too bad.Would you recommend this one? With the bios upgrade is that something I just need to download and install?
For your board with 3800x...
https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

BIOS installation guides...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=mDb6pBcsdwc&feature=emb_logo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgH42B8d1xY
You have a fairly decent setup going on here. The specs look pretty capable of 4k editing. can you elaborate on the "struggles" part???
If its struggling in the editing part, then CPU could be stretched. If in encoding part then GPU could be stretched, assuming you are using Mercury CUDA engine or NVENC.

Specwise both a faster CPU and GPU might help, but we will get to that eventually.

Last edited:

erin.draper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
You have a fairly decent setup going on here. The specs look pretty capable of 4k editing. can you elaborate on the "struggles" part???
If its struggling in the editing part, then CPU could be stretched. If in encoding part then GPU could be stretched, assuming you are using Mercury CUDA engine or NVENC.

Specwise both a faster CPU and GPU might help, but we will get to that eventually.

Hi, thank you for you message.

So at the moment, when I have 4k footage say in my timeline it stutters, even on half preview quality. And if I have any effects on it then it wont play properly at all.

I would like to use after effects to add effects onto the footage as well, but it takes forever to do anything. And even once all the rendering is done, the video wont play on the timeline properly most the time.

I was thinking the specs prop should be doing better than they are, but not sure. Was thinking perhaps it could be the motherboard, but I am not sure how that plays a role in the whole performance of the PC.

I've got Mercury CUDA engine enabled. And when I export the video I have no problem with that. I think my GPU is doing fine in that regard.

Do you think it might be that I am using an AMD graphics card and I would be worth upgrading to an Intel?

Hi, thank you for you message.

So at the moment, when I have 4k footage say in my timeline it stutters, even on half preview quality. And if I have any effects on it then it wont play properly at all.

I would like to use after effects to add effects onto the footage as well, but it takes forever to do anything. And even once all the rendering is done, the video wont play on the timeline properly most the time.

I was thinking the specs prop should be doing better than they are, but not sure. Was thinking perhaps it could be the motherboard, but I am not sure how that plays a role in the whole performance of the PC.

I've got Mercury CUDA engine enabled. And when I export the video I have no problem with that. I think my GPU is doing fine in that regard.

Do you think it might be that I am using an AMD graphics card and I would be worth upgrading to an Intel?
Precisely what I thought.
Not about the AMD processor but more specifically the clock speed. Premiere Pro prefers faster clocks than number of cores. The motherboard does not have any major role in it other than how you setup your configuration, a non factor basically.
That board can support Ryzen 3000 chips with a BIOS upgrade.
I would say that while your 1700 is there, upgrade to the 3000 BIOS and get something like a 3600x or 3700x and you should see improvement in performance.
The rest of the setup looks good enough for now as this is a bad time to purchase anything due to lack of supply...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | £188.90 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £188.90
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-13 14:18 BST+0100 |

erin.draper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
Precisely what I thought.
Not about the AMD processor but more specifically the clock speed. Premiere Pro prefers faster clocks than number of cores. The motherboard does not have any major role in it other than how you setup your configuration, a non factor basically.
That board can support Ryzen 3000 chips with a BIOS upgrade.
I would say that while your 1700 is there, upgrade to the 3000 BIOS and get something like a 3600x or 3700x and you should see improvement in performance.
The rest of the setup looks good enough for now as this is a bad time to purchase anything due to lack of supply...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | £188.90 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £188.90
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-13 14:18 BST+0100 |

They look affordable for my budget. Even the AMD Ryzen 7 3800X is £302 on amazon at the moment which doesnt seem too bad.Would you recommend this one? With the bios upgrade is that something I just need to download and install?

For your board with 3800x...
https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

BIOS installation guides...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=mDb6pBcsdwc&feature=emb_logo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgH42B8d1xY

Solution