[SOLVED] I zapped my cpu and killed my power supply ?

tfood1409

Commendable
Jul 7, 2018
Hey all so here is my adventure that happened yesterday.

I decided to buy some case fans since I noticed my Rtx 2070S runs a little hotter than my old gtx1060. I installed the fans no problem and cleaned the dust on my pc with compressed air the stuff that comes in a can. All is well then I plug the pc in as usual turn it on. Turned on for half a second then turned off and it would not turn on since then. It is acting like the pc in unplugged I press the power switch and nothing. I thought it was the psu but I did the paper clip test and the fan was spinning so I was at lost. I plugged a fan in the power supply and it stopped spinning.

My power supply is semi modular its an old Rosewill Hive 750 that I've had for 8 years almost. There are 2 outputs one is red for pcie power and one is black for other accessories. When I plugged this fan in the pcie output it worked flawlessly but when I plugged it in the accessories output I heard a clicking/zapping noise and fan stopped spinning. I thought it was the power supply so I went and got a new one. I tested the pc and still the same problem it's like the pc in unplugged. I go and buy a motherboard. Everything works flawlessly. I install the cpu in the new motherboard and I get the same issue no power no nothing so at that point I had concluded that it has to be the cpu. I went and got a new cpu and everything works flawlessly.

I was installing my m.2 drive in the new motherboard and I lost the screw and tried to finding it and from my next experience I believe it fell into my new power supply. So I put everything together and turn on the pc just fine and only lasted for a couple seconds before it shut down again. I thought I was back to square one. I switch the supply off and turn it back on and heard a loud pop. Like an idiot that I am I tried again and it popped just by only switching the power supply to on and it tripped the circuit breaker in my living room area. Then I thought it has to be the power supply. I unplugged everything connected to the powersupply and as soon as I plugged it in and turn the switch to on the breaker trips in my living room again. I decided to try again with the old power supply and hook up the gpu, cpu, and motherboard. Everything works just fine.

Thats my experience and here are my questions:

Is it possible I killed my cpu when I was cleaning and installing the fans?

Is the old power supply ok to use or should I got get a new one regardless?

Is there a possibility that the case fans I got are shorting my pc?

What else could have happened?

I already spent $600 to replace things one by one to find the problem if I could save another 100 from using the old power supply it would be great. Thank you all and sorry for super big post.

Solution
An 8 year old PSU doesn't inspire confidence. The culprit is the PSU in itself. Paper clip tests aren't a good way to test a PSU because they ask you to simulate a load on the PSU, which can be a fan or a HDD or anything...it does not indicate how much power the PSU can effectively output to the entire PC.

Lutfij

Titan
An 8 year old PSU doesn't inspire confidence. The culprit is the PSU in itself. Paper clip tests aren't a good way to test a PSU because they ask you to simulate a load on the PSU, which can be a fan or a HDD or anything...it does not indicate how much power the PSU can effectively output to the entire PC.

Solution

tfood1409

Commendable
Jul 7, 2018
That was my original suspicion I have had this power supply for many years and should have changed it when I did major upgrades on my pc over this last summer. I ended up getting a Corsair RM750 power supply that was the only one available nearby and everything works like a charm!