Question I226-V issues - hardware or software related?

CelticPharaoh

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
Hi all,

TL;DR: Intel I226-V issues, requires a driver/firmware update or requires a hardware revision?

I have been debating going for a Z790 build but from a lot of the reading I've done, it seems that there are a lot of people having issues with the I226-V NIC, regardless of what motherboard they have.

I know Intel created an updated driver that disables EEE for 1 Gbps and 2.5 Gbps speeds: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...rnet-issues-but-its-just-a-workaround-for-now

But as noted, this is a workaround and not a permanent solution and I did read from some that it didn't work.

So my question is, is this a hardware issue that requires a new revision of the I226-V NIC or is it known that this is a software issue that can hopefully be resolved in a driver update? The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering the Z790 Hero which has 1 NIC, the I226-V, and I don't want to have to RMA the board if it is a hardware problem.

I know some might say go for a motherboard with 2 NICs, the Z790 Extreme would have that for example, but its also priced much higher and outside of my budget. The alternative is to buy a separate PCIe network card but that honestly feels ridiculous to have to do this.

So if its a software issue, I am willing to be patient and wait for Intel to fix it with a driver/firmware update and I can make do with a WiFi connection for now. But if it's a hardware issue then I would likely outright avoid going Z790 until a later date when there are a new hardware revisions.

From what I read it is a hardware issue that can only be changed by a design change in chips manufactured after these. They had a similar issue with the i225 chip. In some ways it would be nice if you could get high end motherboards using the older more stable 1gbit chips.

I have no idea how you figure out what chips are affected and how you identify them. Even the motherboard manufacture date may not help if they are using chips that were manufactured earlier.

I know the i225 one only did it at 2.5g so it was not such a huge issue. I don't know if the i226 has the same issue at 1g and at 2.5g. They seem to be rushing product to market which is strange for intel. Engery saving on a ethernet port is just stupid since it is so low power. They likely wasted more power manufacturing the defective chips that they had to destroy than they will ever save using this stupid feature.

Reactions: CelticPharaoh

CelticPharaoh

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
From what I read it is a hardware issue that can only be changed by a design change in chips manufactured after these. They had a similar issue with the i225 chip. In some ways it would be nice if you could get high end motherboards using the older more stable 1gbit chips.

I have no idea how you figure out what chips are affected and how you identify them. Even the motherboard manufacture date may not help if they are using chips that were manufactured earlier.

I know the i225 one only did it at 2.5g so it was not such a huge issue. I don't know if the i226 has the same issue at 1g and at 2.5g. They seem to be rushing product to market which is strange for intel. Engery saving on a ethernet port is just stupid since it is so low power. They likely wasted more power manufacturing the defective chips that they had to destroy than they will ever save using this stupid feature.
Thanks Bill. I might just avoid going with Z790 until this issue is resolved.

I agree, there should at least be an alternative option to the I226-V NIC but perhaps because of some agreement with Intel, they're forced to solely use it for most Z790 boards. From reading over at the Intel community forums, there are A LOT of angry consumers. It would be understandable if it was a one off lemon in the I225-V but the fact that the issue has continued into the I226-V NIC is disgraceful to be honest, especially considering its being used it on the top of the line Z790 boards as well

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
my own experience if your motherboard is lacking , instead , rely on a pcie express 1x , extension card that gives you 2.5 Gbps .
i've ordered once recently . it's chinese . but at least it's better than the one on an asus prime p z390 .

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
if your motherboard's cheap the network interface tends to face issues over time . they tend to fail at speed negotiation and drop to 100 mbps from 1 gbps .
buy a seperate card instead . 2.5 Gbps

TRENDING THREADS