[SOLVED] i3 10100 or Ryzen 5 2600? and RAM speeds in between

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
So i'm going to upgrade my I3 4170 and i'm looking for gaming. The 2 current candidates are the I3 10100 and the R5 2600, with the i3 being slightly cheaper than the R5.
I've been seeing benchmarks between the 2 and realized that the i3 seems to have the upper ground, but the guy that does the benchmarks uses a Z motherboard which means he can get the ram clock higher than the 2600mhz limit of the i3, which apparently increases perfomance by 10-20%. I'm obviously not getting a Z motherboard, so i'd be limited with the (better?) cpu with lower ram speeds, because the entry level Ryzen motherboard allows up to 2933mhz, and i'm regardless getting a corsair 3000mhz 2x8 because its at a very good price atm.
So, should i go for the cheaper, which also seems better processor, with lower ram speeds? Or the slightly more expensive Ryzen, with higher ram speeds, hoping to close the gap to the i3, and also with 6 cores and 12 threads instead of 4c/8t? Do you think that one of those will last better in the long run than the other? Thanks!

Solution
2600 would be my pick then. Intel will get you short term gains if you are running older titles at like 200FPS, 2600 gets you more cores and will be happier playing more recent game titles, and certainly newer games are going to target 6 cores and up. New consoles are 100% AMD 8 cores with Nintendo hanging out in ARM land (actually have an old phone with the 1st gen Tegra chip)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Drop down a generation on Intel and it is less of a problem. Intel started getting silly at a time when their CPUs are no longer the best option in all cases and restricted running faster memory. And in the last few weeks, no longer the best option for the majority of cases. i5-9400F is comparable in price to the 2600.

Honestly, I prefer the 2600 choice. Spend a little extra on the motherboard there and you can drop in a 8, 12, or 16 core CPU in a few years when the used price isn't so bad. So B550 or X570 motherboard. B450 would technically be okay, but I wouldn't guarantee every board is going to get BIOS updates to support the 5000 series CPUs.

As for the memory speed. Less important on Intel then it is with AMD, makes a difference though in maximum FPS on games. FPS is hopefully going to be determined by your GPU if it is properly balanced.

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
Drop down a generation on Intel and it is less of a problem. Intel started getting silly at a time when their CPUs are no longer the best option in all cases and restricted running faster memory. And in the last few weeks, no longer the best option for the majority of cases. i5-9400F is comparable in price to the 2600.

Honestly, I prefer the 2600 choice. Spend a little extra on the motherboard there and you can drop in a 8, 12, or 16 core CPU in a few years when the used price isn't so bad. So B550 or X570 motherboard. B450 would technically be okay, but I wouldn't guarantee every board is going to get BIOS updates to support the 5000 series CPUs.

As for the memory speed. Less important on Intel then it is with AMD, makes a difference though in maximum FPS on games. FPS is hopefully going to be determined by your GPU if it is properly balanced.
I mean, i would spend more on the 2600 and any of the motherboards you said, but thats just not in my budget. I could either get an entry level motherboard with a 2600 and try to get something better that is compatible in the future, or an i3 10100 and in a few years time i could buy something better of the same 1200 socket. Or like you said and i5 9400F that wont bottleneck my ram is also an option. Maybe im making too big of a deal out of this, but i honestly cant make my mind up.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What is the budget? Might be a good time to snatch up someone's older Ryzen CPU as they upgrade as well. sub-$100 on E-bay at the moment.

You are overthinking a little. Intel has zero upgrade path, might be an 11th gen CPU, but it probably won't be that much to write home about. I expect the usual uptick from their 14nm+++ or whatever they are up to.
Ryzen 2600 is a fine CPU, reasonably priced. A cheap B450 board is certainly on option, and it may support newer CPUs in the future. Right now it is going to support 2000 and 3000 series. (I've seen early reports of B450 support for 5000 series, but they are going to target higher end boards first)

A lot comes down to your GPU and what performance you are expecting at a given resolution and game title. There are benchmarks out there for most things paired with a 2600.

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
What is the budget? Might be a good time to snatch up someone's older Ryzen CPU as they upgrade as well. sub-$100 on E-bay at the moment.

You are overthinking a little. Intel has zero upgrade path, might be an 11th gen CPU, but it probably won't be that much to write home about. I expect the usual uptick from their 14nm+++ or whatever they are up to.
Ryzen 2600 is a fine CPU, reasonably priced. A cheap B450 board is certainly on option, and it may support newer CPUs in the future. Right now it is going to support 2000 and 3000 series. (I've seen early reports of B450 support for 5000 series, but they are going to target higher end boards first)

A lot comes down to your GPU and what performance you are expecting at a given resolution and game title. There are benchmarks out there for most things paired with a 2600.
I'm in Argentina, so prices are sort of ridiculous in USD terms, the R5 2600 or i5 9400F are paired like you said at 95US$ (16.2k ars), the b450 is around 60US$ (9.5k ars), and the 2x8 ram around 65US (10.5k ars). In total this would be around 226US, and i have around 265 US available, so i do have room for improvement. On the other side i currently have a 960, so i'm very aware this whole thing is overkill for this gpu but i was hoping to get the best equipment for the least ammount of money to already start saving up for a new one. The B450M deal you said looks very appealing even though it costs a bit more than i was expecting, but if it has room for bigger improvement in a few years time should i need it sounds very convenient.
edit: the used market over here is kinda slim and shady so i'd rather skip it altogether

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
2600 would be my pick then. Intel will get you short term gains if you are running older titles at like 200FPS, 2600 gets you more cores and will be happier playing more recent game titles, and certainly newer games are going to target 6 cores and up. New consoles are 100% AMD 8 cores with Nintendo hanging out in ARM land (actually have an old phone with the 1st gen Tegra chip)

Solution