[SOLVED] i3-10100 Stock Cooler and Turbo Mode

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I have just built a "budget" i3-10100/MSI B460M-A Pro gaming PC and am using the stock cooler because I can't OC the CPU anyway. But I was wondering about turbo mode. Can the stock cooler keep up during Turbo? How would I tell? Or am I concerned over nothing?

Solution
I didn't state my concern very well above. What I was wondering is if the CPU would be able to maintain turbo clock speed with the stock cooler, or if an after market cooler would be needed to get the most benefit from turbo.

I did understand your concern.

There are many variables that may play into this. What is ambient temp? Does your case have good air flow? Is the work load on the CPU constant enough to require turbo and long enough not to kick out of (I am sorry I don't know the tech term) the high turbo time limit...IE Intel will boost at one point for less than a few minutes and then will settle into a sustainable boost based on energy use and temps.

So, in theory with any chip you cannot change parameters on (Z...

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I didn't state my concern very well above. What I was wondering is if the CPU would be able to maintain turbo clock speed with the stock cooler, or if an after market cooler would be needed to get the most benefit from turbo.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I did understand your concern.

There are many variables that may play into this. What is ambient temp? Does your case have good air flow? Is the work load on the CPU constant enough to require turbo and long enough not to kick out of (I am sorry I don't know the tech term) the high turbo time limit...IE Intel will boost at one point for less than a few minutes and then will settle into a sustainable boost based on energy use and temps.

So, in theory with any chip you cannot change parameters on (Z chipset on X cpu edit, meant to say K for Intel)) you should see a slightly higher boost clock on the load for (I think) 90-ish seconds then come down some. I don't know the exact time and parameters for the 10100. Someone here may.

Last edited:
Solution
run HWMonitor and CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU (a roughly 90% of max temps inducer not as stressful as Prime95 but usually more stressful than any games) for 12-15 minutes and you will have your answer....; if your clock speeds stay near 3.9-4.0 GHz with temps below 80C, then the stock cooler is at least adequate...

Reactions: punkncat

TRENDING THREADS