[SOLVED] i3-12100/RTX 3060 ti combo?

BK80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hi folks,

So i picked myself up a RTX 3060 ti on ebay for £330, near mint condition. From what i'm hearing, the "best" all-round cpu to compliment this card in terms of price to performance for a gaming build would be the Ryzen 5 5600x. At least so say the biggest youtubers (LTT, Jayz2cents etc).

However, here in the UK, this CPU is still the best part of £200... (if you can finde one that is.) The i3-12100 can be found readily for less than £100. My question is, do i simply have to bite the bullet and pay over my budgt for the 5600x? Will the cheaper option noticeably cause cpu throttling and impact my gaming performance? Or will the i3-12100 be powerful enough for what i need?

Much thanks in advance.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution
Hi folks,

So i picked myself up a RTX 3060 ti on ebay for £330, near mint condition. From what i'm hearing, the "best" all-round cpu to compliment this card in terms of price to performance for a gaming build would be the Ryzen 5 5600x. At least so say the biggest youtubers (LTT, Jayz2cents etc).

However, here in the UK, this CPU is still the best part of £200... (if you can finde one that is.) The i3-12100 can be found readily for less than £100. My question is, do i simply have to bite the bullet and pay over my budgt for the 5600x? Will the cheaper option noticeably cause cpu throttling and impact my gaming performance? Or will the i3-12100 be powerful enough for what i need?

Much thanks in advance.
If you're gaming only...
Hi folks,

Much thanks in advance.
If you're gaming only with not many other applications then a 12100 is likely just fine. If you pair it with a decent B660 board then you can always upgrade to a higher end CPU later as well.

Solution
i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz/specifications.html

i512400.jpg

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hi folks,

Much thanks in advance.
Go with whatever makes you feel best. The truth of the matter lies not necessarily in the performance or price, moreover it concerns the boon between customer and product; if you feel like you'd enjoy your time with the particular part, then that's the part for you (of course, keeping in mind pricing and performance values to a large extent, but not absolutely). For all we know there might be a really cheap and decent part only to be killed by an electric surge a year later, or a case of bad luck with a factory fault bringing up the same results. If your budget allows it nicely and you personally feel that the i3-12100 is the part for you - go for it! If you can stretch your budget a bit and would like a little more performance and think the gains are truly worthwhile, you've got other options. But yeah, go with what you personally prefer. After all the thinking and considering we never know what will truly happen after the acquisition of said product, whether it will last or not, so a good way of approaching the situation would be feeling your inner gut. (y)

Last edited:
Yeah, agree with all the others. Depending on what game you're playing 4c/8t will get used up pretty quickly. Can cause stuttering. Turning off background tasks will help, but you will always be having to do that with AAA games that can use more cores/threads.

In terms of FPS, the 12100 is fine, but the 1% lows might suffer.