I3 2100 or AMD 955 BE? Not for gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdulgerian

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hello all,

I need advice on whether to go for a i3 2100 or amd 955 be. Both come to about the same money with the boards I chose. This build is for my dad who WILL NOT GAME and will only use for email, surfing the net, emailing and organizing his picture, and recording music from cassettes he has. Seems like pretty simple tasks but I want to make it will fly when he's watching youtube videos while emailing and viewing pictures at the same time (so its got to be a great multitasker). I really don't plan on upgrading this PC for 5 years so its got to be a good system to last that long. i5 2400 or other amd chips are out of the budget. What do you guys think?

Solution
Your dad isn't going to tell the difference between any newer CPU out and the next. I'd go with Athlon II X3 + an expensive SSD depending on your budget. If you can afford SB i3 and an SSD then go for that, but an SSD is what is going to make his PC fast for those uses, everything else is already overkill these days.
My summary:
i3 Advantages
Better performance when your only using 2 cores
lower power consumption
955 Advantages
Better muti thread performance
Cheaper motherboards especially if you want more than the basic features
You can overclock it either now or when it gets to slow

For the uses you state both will be great you could just get an Athlon x3 and save some cash.

^ i agree, an athlon x3 or x4 would be a good idea over the phenom, they use a bit less power too. Just make sure you pair it with a good, efficient PSU and a good amount of RAM (4gb+). If your thinking of upgradeability, the i3 platform can be upgraded to better i5/i7 processors. For the AMD system to be upgradeable you need a motherboard that is AM3+ ready to support the upcoming bulldozer cpu's.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Your dad isn't going to tell the difference between any newer CPU out and the next. I'd go with Athlon II X3 + an expensive SSD depending on your budget. If you can afford SB i3 and an SSD then go for that, but an SSD is what is going to make his PC fast for those uses, everything else is already overkill these days.

Solution

vdulgerian

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Thanks for the responses guys. I think i'm going i5 2400 and i'm going to chip in a few bucks for fathers day. I like the SSD idea, however, I wouldn't get one less that 60gb and anyway I slice it, one of those is more than I would like to chip in, even with an amd athlon x3 (which I wouldn't want to go with cause it feels like buying technology from 5 years ago). I going to wait maybe till his bday and get him a SSD. Maybe they'll be cheaper by october...

Status
Not open for further replies.