Question i3-2100 TO i5-3570? Is it feasible in this system?

Mar 1, 2019
Hello everyone;

Recently I have been wondering if it is possible to quickly and cheaply upgrade my old and trusty system:

CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm

RAM: HI-LEVEL 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 PC10600D3-4G

BOARD: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8H61-M LE/USB3 (LGA1155)

POWER:

AC-INPUTVOLTAGECURRENTFREQUENCY
115V/230V10A/6A60Hz/50Hz
DC-OUTPUT+3.3V 22A+5V 16A+12V1 15A+12V2 16A-12V 0.8APS-ON RemotePOK P GCOM Return
MAX130W180W192W9.6W12.5W---
TOTAL 500W

I am having financial issues these days and a complete overhaul is simply not possible. I have 2 questions:

1: Is it feasible/possible to breathe new life into the system by replacing the i3-2100 with an i5-3570 (and additional 4GB RAM)? I found both the RAM (new) and the CPU (used) online. They will cost me around $120. I heard that i5-3570 is a good candidate for a possible upgrade but is the performance increase worth the risk of buying a used CPU? Can the system power the i5? I have had no problems with the system so far, it works like a clock but it is showing its age. The board manufacturers web site lists the i5-3570 among the supported CPU's.

2: Currently the GPU is Asus GT-1030. I may upgrade to an RX 570. Can the system power that? Should I replace the power supply?

I am not expecting miracles but playing PUBG without stutters would be great :)

Thank you for your time.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unless there is something I am missing, you (typically) cannot replace the processor of one generation with a processor of another generation.
I would check the motherboard specs to see if it will support the TDP of an i7 of that same generation...like an i7 2600.

As to the GPU upgrade, yes you would need a new PSU to support that.

InvalidError

Titan
A memory upgrade to at least 8GB would be the most beneficial at the moment - no amount of CPU/GPU-power can overcome swapping lag due to low memory. Memory compatibility between the DIMM you already have and whatever DIMM you may buy to go with it could be an issue though, so you may be better off buying a new 8GB kit. For the CPU, you should be able to put anything up to the i7-3770k on that board as long as you make sure it has a sufficiently recent BIOS installed on it first.

Unless there is something I am missing, you (typically) cannot replace the processor of one generation with a processor of another generation.
I would check the motherboard specs to see if it will support the TDP of an i7 of that same generation...like an i7 2600.

As to the GPU upgrade, yes you would need a new PSU to support that.

Sure you can. Sandy/Ivy Bridge were the same socket; Haswell/Broadwell, Skylake/Kaby Lake, etc.

Typically all you need to do is make sure you have the latest BIOS for your board installed and it will support the next generation.

OP, I'd recommend an i7-3770 over the i5-3570 if the cost difference isn't too much. We have both in the family; the i7 will slightly edge out the i5 in overall usability and gaming performance under Windows 10.

If you want to replace the GPU, I'd replace the PSU with a quality Seasonic or good Corsair unit - the one in there seems like it's a junky unit with the output specs. 550W will do.

Another 4 GB of RAM and a cheap SSD as a system drive would do wonders for performance as well.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sure you can. Sandy/Ivy Bridge were the same socket; Haswell/Broadwell, Skylake/Kaby Lake, etc.

Typically all you need to do is make sure you have the latest BIOS for your board installed and it will support the next generation.

OP, I'd recommend an i7-3770 over the i5-3570 if the cost difference isn't too much. We have both in the family; the i7 will slightly edge out the i5 in overall usability and gaming performance under Windows 10.

If you want to replace the GPU, I'd replace the PSU with a quality Seasonic or good Corsair unit - the one in there seems like it's a junky unit with the output specs. 550W will do.

Another 4 GB of RAM and a cheap SSD as a system drive would do wonders for performance as well.

Yup, it appears that you are good with anything on this list:

I recently had a less than stellar experience trying this with a Dell OptiPlex.

Mar 1, 2019
You guys are amazing thank you :) Such prompt and detailed answers... Thank you.

So the concensus is: i5-3570 + 8GB ram (one module) should work. Unfortunately the price difference between i7-3770 and i5-3570 is more than I can handle right now. Online prices range from $120 to $400. I can buy a brand new system with what the local dealers ask for.

I will update the thread and share my experience when I finally do the upgrade.

Thanks again.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Something to consider in this situation. Look for a SFF Dell OptiPlex or HP workstation refurb with that i7 3770 in it. You should be able to remove that proc for use. I would suggest, based on recent experience, that you might find the whole system without HDD/OS cheaper than the proc alone. Ebay is your friend.
On the OptiPlex you would be looking for a 7010 or 9010 if memory serves.